Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Good Techie Deed

Honestly, the only thing that's important enough to talk about today in my main topic, once again, is video games. Hence, I'm going to branch out to a neat article I found listing 10 things you can do for your mom's computer this Thanksgiving. I have had a personal experience introducing an older person (she lives on my street, actually) to Picasa and she absolutely loves it. So it can't hurt to show it to your mom either. No one likes a cluttered task bar, so installing Firefox and showing her how much tabbed browsing rocks will definitely help her out as she shops for gifts online this holiday season and such (ok, so she's more likely looking up recipes of stuff to cook for you). I actually learned about something new from that list: Evernote. It looks like it's a little better than Microsoft's OneNote in that it's more intuitive. Something that you really must do is run the maintenance wizard, which runs ScanDisk, Disk Cleanup, and the Disk Defragmenter. So be good little ambassadors of technology and spread the joy.

Now onto video games: the Xbox 360 seems to be running into some issues with freezing. Many gamers have begun complaining online, and if you don't believe them then you can see it for yourself. You may be rushing your launch if your customers pay $400 and aren't happy. Once again, I have an article comparing the three systems' highlights for your reading pleasure. I must be turning my readers into lean, mean gaming machines! This week is a big week for shoppers because of Black Friday, when stores go sale-crazy to put unneeded items on clearance. I managed to scare up one list with a lot of deals on it for this weekend, but if you're planning on getting anything then make sure you get there at the store's opening. Google is going to start providing its advertisers with a new service: free phone calls for those interested it to the company itself. With a click of a button they'll automatically connect your phone to the advertiser's phone number, but I'm just curious as to how they actually do it! Lastly, a couple of nifty web applications I couldn't pass up. If you ever feel like writing down some lyrics, this one will sing it for you using a database of sound bytes from songs. The other one I have is a Google map hack that simulates some of Google Earth's features in showing you restaurants and such near a location.

Click to enlargeWhat's this? Another version of the Sin City DVD? What a shock considering that the previous one was barebones. This is the version that you were meant to see with many interesting extras to boot, so Robert Rodriguez fans, rejoice! If you're wondering where X-men 3 has been, have no fear because some studio insiders have hinted at a more aggressive marketing campaign next month just in time for the holiday season. All I have left to show you are trailers. I don't know why Cheaper by the Dozen 2 got made but the new trailer doesn't help its cause in my mind. The trailer for the sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean was online officially for a short time before it was taken down, but some crazy Russians have put it back online (just click the obvious link in the middle). Lastly, IGN discovered the trailer for a movie I hadn't heard of before: Grandma's Boy. It's red-band so you need to verify your age first (against DMV records), but it's nice to see it uncensored if you can and I'm afraid of being more stupid than funny. It's about a 37-year-old game tester living with his grandma, which I think would be humorous.

Now for the Wednesday Mind Hump:

1. What are you thankful for this year?
Lots of things, but I'll mention them in the Ten on Tuesday next week. Namely: my healthy, my family, and my A in EE 316 (thank the Lord).

2. Does your family eat turkey or ham for the Thanksgiving meal? Or do you do both? Or do you do something completely different?
Most times both, but definitely the turkey. Afterwards, my dad makes an awesome dish out of it for sandwiches and stuff.

3. What's your favorite Thanksgiving side?
That would have to be the mashed potatoes. I'm in love with potatoes, and they're best served mashed.

4. What's your favorite Thanksgiving dessert?
For the third time, pumpkin pie. :)

5. Are you going out shopping on Black Friday? If not, what are you gonna do on the day after Thanksgiving?
Most definitely. Hopefully I'll top off the day by either hanging out with my cousins or my friends.

In the case that I don't post tomorrow, and it's likely that I won't, have an awesome Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

Connie said...

black friday yay.. big crowds scary though. have a good thankgsiving break :D