Friday, November 25, 2005

Afraid of the G

As you can tell from the tardiness of this post, I've had quite a full past two days. We went to two Thanksgiving Day meals yesterday and I watched the UT v. A&M game today, which actually was a nailbiter for a few minutes. I won't make this post too long I think because I'm kind of tired, and it's not from turkey but rather my failed attempt to get Family Guy Vol. 2 from Circuit City this morning for $15. Oh well, you can't win every year. Google is typically a pretty hot topic and Wired took a look at who's afraid of the big G in various fields. When you put it all together, they really have a lot going on right now, which is really smart because they don't have all their eggs in any one basket. I actually didn't know that eBay's market value fell by almost $2 billion as a result of the announcement of Google Base, which goes to show that maybe there is reason to fear them after all. I think it's a very good thing because now companies like eBay and Paypal who have felt rather secure in their market dominance have to start to work for their money and maybe even innovate a bit in the process. We all win in the end so I suppose that we should all be cheering Google on.

This almost reminds me of Apple's situation some twenty years ago when they started to grow and one site has a great look back at the start of the PowerBook series in 1991. It's going to be crazy when one day we'll be teaching our kids the history of personal and portable computing. Then there's the famous sound byte you hear every time you boot a Mac machine, and it's funny how you don't think how perfect it really is. We can also teach them about flops like the N-Gage, which Nokia has finally admitted has failed and will step back from portable gaming for a couple of years. I kind of feel bad for them since they really put a lot of marketing into the device, but I just think that they were aiming for the wrong audience since kids are most likely to play serious games on-the-go whereas everyone else just wants Tetris. Lastly, Kazaa got lucky in their lawsuit (or so I think) as they just have to block certain search terms in their P2P network.

Click to enlargeI may not be too excited about The Producers film adaptation, but I can't help but love the Uma so that's one of a few new pictures that JoBlo have from the movie. It's totally different from what you usually see her wearing so I think it's a fun picture. If you'd rather see Lord Voldemort though, which Warner Bros. has been careful to keep under wraps until the release of the movie, then click here. There's also a clip there, but I wouldn't consider it much of a spoiler if you're worried about watching it. A few days ago I told you all about Kevin Smith talking back to fan comments and criticisms of his work on Clerks 2 and now he's made another post of them. It's definitely funny to just skim it if you a few minutes and you're familiar with his past work. I've saved the saddest bit of news for last: in case you haven't already heard, Pat Morita of Happy Days and Karate Kid fame died today at the ripe age of 73. I guess he's teaching karate in heaven now.

Now for Friday's Feast:

Appetizer
What did you look like when you were a teenager?

Technically, I'm still a teenager, but I would prefer to consider myself a young adult I suppose (more because of how much more responsibility I've had to take on over myself than anything else). If I consider my teenage years to be high school, I'd say that I looked chubby with some goofy clothes. There's no other real way to describe it other than hand-me-down stuff, but I've built up a decent wardrobe over the years.

Salad
Whose advice do you listen to?

Many people's as long as they know what they're talking about. If you're giving me advice on women and you aren't one or don't have one then I'm not listening to you! Mainly my brother and my father a few of my closer friends I suppose.

Soup
Name a book you would like to memorize.

Definitely Dante's Inferno. I guess I'd have to memorize an English translation, but that thing is so damn fascinating.

Main Course
How often are you sick?

Pretty rarely. I would say no more than twice a year. I don't count a sore throat for like 5 days as a sickness though, but rather an ailment where I really feel like crap. I was blessed with a better immune system than my brother from our gene pool, what can I say.

Dessert
Do you like or dislike change?

At this point in my life, I like it. I'd like to think that I'm constantly evolving into a better person as are the people around me. College is all about learning how to handle life, after all.

No comments: