Thursday, November 10, 2005

Cerf's Plea

Today was balanced between good and bad. I botched my interview with Microsoft this morning since they only asked me one tech question (and it was really easy). He must've not been satisfied with my answer or he would've asked me more, which means that I'm out. I did pass R2 for EE 316 though, and so all that's left is the final next Wednesday. I'll be so happy I may actually cry. There's been a lot of drama in recent months about who controls the Internet in the world, and I think some crazy Europeans are mad that we have some sort of hegemony. So anyway, it has prompted Congress to hold a hearing on Internet neutrality, and Vinton Cerf, the badass who created TCP/IP, has submitted a great letter for their consideration. Microsoft will be in attendance to argue the case for the Internet companies who share the same concerns. I think his letter should hold a lot of weight since he's almost like the father of the Internet, and much like we consider the intent of our country's forefathers in interpreting the constitution, they need to pay respect to his vision. Internet businesses are clearly more concerned about Internet neutrality so that they won't face regulation, but it's really important for the rest of us because centralized control may not allow blogs like mine or yours or your friends depending on what they talk about. Or they may tell you what you can or cannot access. It's a scary thought, so let's hope it never comes to pass.

If you're craving more speaking out from important figures in the computer world, it may gladden your heart to see this post from a former Apple executive in which he trashes DRM. I agree wholeheartedly with what he says. Why can't I play the music that I got from MSN Music (I had gift cards) in iTunes? I feel that it's a totally rip that I don't get all what I paid for, and I hope it eventually dies off. I spoke yesterday about the Rokr, but there are a couple of other offerings from Sprint that really blow. Not only do you have to pay a lot for the phone and pay a monthly fee for Internet access, but each song is $2.50! What were they smoking? A few big names are combining their powers to create an organization that would hold royalty-free patents for Linux, which is a good idea and has me left without an ulterior motive. Lastly, if you've heard the term AJAX bounced around and have had your friends glance at you in shame as you blabber about the two brothers in classical mythology, then you'll want to read this interview.

Click to enlarge

I've gotta go play broomball with NSC pretty soon so I'm going to breeze through the movie news. As you can see above, we have some new pictures from Superman Returns as the official site has been updated with wallpapers and the official plot line as well. There are also a few new pictures from Clerks 2 but they're a little less interesting. There are also some humorous new video journal entries on the movie's blog, which is close to wrapping production by the way. If you're a fan of Chronicles of Narnia you may be interesting in some footage from a recent segment on Disney Channel's "Movie Surfers". Lastly, Steven Spielberg spoke at USC yesterday in which he revealed a few things regarding his upcoming movies. The most notable revelations were that the script for Indiana Jones 4 is not near completion and he has no plans to use 3-D technology despite some rumors (which I heard about and didn't mention because they sounded false).

Now for the 3x Thursday meme:

1. If you could write one law regarding the driving laws, what would it be? Why?
It would be that people have to signal when changing lanes! I know it was in the driver's manual, but it must not be a law since no one seems to do it. It really annoys me and if I wasn't such a careful driver I would've encountered some accidents thanks to people who don't believe in turn signals.

2. If you could get the entire world to change one thing about itself (the way it works, the way we think on the whole, etc), what would it be? Why?
I don't really know, but I guess that people should just try being nicer to each other. I don't know what else to say. If people would act in the image of Jesus maybe the world would be a better place.

3. What's your plan for 'alternative energy source' plan? Can it work in real life?
The hell if I know! I hope that it can work out, but I've heard disparaging things about the possibility of a fuel cell or cars running on hydrogen due to high production costs.

Bonus Question for Comments:If you could remove one law, what would it be? Why?
The 21 age requirement for drinking. It should totally be 19! I guess I'm just saying that because I'm tired of not being able to go out to 6th street, but if I can vote and die for my country (potentially) why can't I get liquored up?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this week! Good luck on your finals! :)

Mathieu said...

sorry about that interview.

good luck on those finals.