Thursday, November 17, 2005

Apple is Everywhere

So I got the lowest grade I've ever gotten on a test here at UT on my CS 336 test: a C. Fortunately, she lets us submit corrections to get half the credit back so I'll end up with a B+, but it's still a little disheartening. I'll just have to work extra hard toward the final. I am excited to be going back to Houston tomorrow to welcome my cousin back from Iraq though, so it all balances out. Anyway, I couldn't think of a better title, but I was referring to the news today. There are three separate important things going on in Cupertino. There are some reliable rumors that an Intel-based iBook will be announced next January at the MacWorld Expo, and given that the hardware guy who spoke on campus to recruit for Apple wouldn't comment on the claims, I think that it'll probably be true. There are also rumors that a new iPod Shuffle will be unveiled the same Expo, which may be even smaller than a pack of gum! And even better, the prices are expected to say the same for the same capacity, and it'll come in different colors. I'm really impressed that they have such a huge driving force with their product line. Lastly, we have word that iTunes may institute variable pricing within the next year in order to suit the needs of record labels pushing for higher prices for higher demand artists and citing other retail business that also have different price points. Older music will cost less in turn, but I wonder if this will hurt the service at all? I guess it all depends on how big the hike will be though.

Click to enlarge, you won't regret itSo what is Microsoft doing in the midst of all this? It's right to your left here: the Microsoft Office 12 beta. PC Magazine has a full review of it, and it looks like a rather pivotal improvement, actually. The interface got a huge overhaul and they decided to go with tabs, so it looks like they're doing something right. I wish I could say the same about the Xbox 360 though, which a CNN reviewer also agrees is subpar at launch though the box may have powerhouse hardware inside of it. You may be tired of hearing about Sony's rootkit issues, but Wired has an extremely insightful article about some horrible flaws in companies that gently hint at some sort of conspiracy, but I definitely consider it a must read. How much do we really know about this problem? Lastly, there's a relatively new player in the tech news portal game called Digg, which just started a year ago and is much like Slashdot except less moderated. Wired did a short piece on it and I think I may start reading it daily myself.

There isn't a whole lot of movie news today, but the big item was the Superman Returns teaser trailer, which aired during tonight's Smallville (which was really good, by the way) and is now online. As I reported last week, the it's also attached to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire this weekend in case you want to see it on the big screen. We now have a cool new poster for Hostel, which Quentin Tarantino has endorsed to help boost its ticket sales, and it genuinely looks interesting and freaky. Lastly, Will Ferrell is looking to ally with Jon Heder for a comedy called Blades of Glory also featuring Amy Poehler and produced in part by Ben Stiller. It's about a pair of ice skaters suspended for brawling with each other, and it has quite a few big names already on it so hopefully it'll be good. Oh, and if you didn't catch this week's Southpark then I highly recommend you catch a rerun because it shows how stupid Scientology really is.

Now for the 3x Thursday meme:

1. We all know what society thinks about sex, but what do you think? Is it/should it be a taboo subject? Why/Why not?
I think it should be handled tastefully. I'm saddened that society takes it so lightly and, hence, puts a lot of pressure on younger generations. It's almost as if I'm a loser just because I'm a virgin. I'm not saying that I'm not a loser otherwise, but it's not because I haven't had sex yet. I don't think it should be taboo, just less forced as a necessity in a relationship.

2. What do you think about sex on tv/in the movies/in songs? Too much? Too little? Should it be there at all? Why/why not?
I guess my answer above really sums it up, but I do think in some shows it goes a little far. On the other hand, only adults should be watching that stuff anyway. I don't have a problem with it being there as long as it's not too obtrusive.

3.Do you think sex should be openly discussed (regardless of context), or should it remain in the bedroom?
I don't think there's a problem with discussing it, just not in public. If you're hanging out with a friend it's ok, but not like on a shuttle bus or something.

Bonus Question for Comments: Does it make you uncomfortable to talk about sex? Why/why not?
Only with older people, not with my peers. It's not like I have much experience though so I don't know what I'd say about it!

No comments: