Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Gaiman and Whedon on Geeks

Today was actually sort of a slow news day, which is good because I'm feeling rather lethargic and may even go to bed earlier than I previously thought because I've fallen asleep quite a few times in the middle of the day today. Anyway, in an interview with Time magazine, Neil Gaiman and Joss Whedon mentioned that geeks are a big part of their fan base and how they're normal now. I think he was trying to get to the point that they represent a subset of the market now and are an important part of the body of consumers. I guess there's a misconception that geeks today are like they were in the 70s, but I don't think much has changed other than people's perceptions of what the word means. Plus, the media is just starting to realize that if you make shows and movies they like the money will come rolling in. Anyway, the rest of the interview is good two if you're interested in these two film heavyweights.

Security is constantly a hot issue and now even flash memory will be secure from SanDisk with their TrustedFlash chip design to ensure that privacy is hard-wired to it. This really makes flash memory more easily accessible to industry where copy-protection is essential. New Scientist has spotted a new patent for a microphone that fits in your teeth to amplify sound even better in high-decibel locales, like a battlefield. The switch would be tongue activated, but it doesn't sound like it would be used a lot in commonplace though it is pretty neat. Lastly, Mexican medical schools have begun experimenting with having their students use robotic patients in their training. I think it's a pretty good idea and will likely spread to the U.S..

JoBlo put up a pretty good quiz about Jessica Alba, so if you think you know everything about her then give it a try. I would put up a choice picture of her, but Blogger is being mean. The Project Greenlight movie, Feast, is finally done and Wes Craven approved of Peter Gulager's finished product. The movie won't release until January 20, and it looks like it'll challenge what we consider to be a good low-budget horror film. We also still have some time yet to wait for Domino, so if you want to see a really weird new clip from that click here. We may have a James Bond by next week as the finalists have been chosen, but I won't list them because I doubt you guys have heard of them. Lastly, if you're hankering for a sports movie, Disney's Glory Road might just hit the spot.

I'm going to go with the Question of the Day II meme today:

What are four things that are on your desk that shouldn't be?
1. Twisty ties - I'm just too lazy to put them up
2. A bandana - I don't know what to do with this
3. My ACL Schedule - again, I'm lazy
4. My cable bill - I already paid it

No comments: