Monday, March 14, 2005

News Free Riders

I am a free rider for current news. Rather than buy newspapers, I choose to get my information online. And according to the New York Times, it's becoming an overbearing trend. Providers of such content may even start charging for it but more as a deterrent to free load than as a source of revenue. Would this really be plausible though? Probably not. News is so diffuse that it's hard to bottle up and market. Most people who can afford to buy it do, and I'm not sure how much that will change. It's definitely more convenient to hold it in your hands (I read The Texan myself), and I'd be inclined to subscribe to the Wall Street Journal myself if I had the money to spare for it. I guess I'm just skeptical as to how sustained this trend will be.

Not a whole lot of nerdy news today either; I guess there's a drought. A new malware has popped up on security radars that infects IE by way of alternate browers (included the coveted Firefox). It's too bad that so many holes are being found with Mozilla, I can only hope that they improve better than Microsoft does. It looks like Google has a competitor in the advertising market. It's a little company called Yahoo and they're secretly testing out their "long tail" javascript advertising to compete with adsense, and we can be assured that market forces will go into effect soon afterwards. Dorks like me who know who Donald Knuth is may be mildly interested in this NPR interview with the man. He's a great guy and all, but it's a bit dull for an interview with someone who should be hyped up about computing. To follow-up on an article I mentioned the other day, it's safe to say that AOL does not record your personal conversations (unless you use AIM@Work of course) and so your IMs are safe from disclosure! Lastly, if you ever heard the term "multithreading" and you were curious about it then this is the article to read.

I have a low quantity of some high quality movie news today. I think a lot of comic book junkies are starting to get excited about Superman Returns and the awesome Bryan Singer has finally come to his senses and decided to start a video blog during the production. I'll try to keep you abreast of updates to that. Since I'm a fan of Bruce Willis I just have to mention that he has signed on to be a psychic doctor in Solace who is brought in to help stop a killer who also has psychic abilities. It may not sound all that, but it's partially from the same writer who brought us Ocean's Eleven. Also, I think the Jason Bourne movies are kind of fun so I also wanted to mention that there are talks of a final movie if a good script should materialize. The big news of today was that the director of X-men 3 has been announced: it will be Matthew Vaughn. He doesn't have a whole lot of mainstream credit, but everyone needs a shot in the limelight to demonstrate their abilities I suppose. I'd like to conclude with a few followups. If you haven't been able to see the new Star Wars trailer maybe you should whet your whistle with this analysis of the trailer. It seems that everyone was fooled last week into thinking that Quentin Tarantino would be directing the next Friday the 13th movie, but he has confirmed its falsity. And now for some Bond news. The upcoming flick will not have Q, but at least we know that the list for 007 actors has been narrowed to two guys. The lucky men are Julian McMahon and Daniel Craig, both of whom have the look but I'm not sure if they can really nail that suave image.

Before I end this post I have to mention this burger that I read about on the ACM forums:

That's the size of my head


The only person to devour the 96+ ounce monster is a 115 pound girl, and that's a true underdog story. I cannot believe that she weighs about what I do and yet she took in that whole thing. I wonder if she had diarrhea the next day? That must have your daily value of calories for two days, but I guess you have to indulge sometimes for the sake of fame.

Get ready for some Monday Madness:

1. I wish I had more __________.
money - It would just make my life a little more comfortable to not have to worry about my expenses

2. I usually think about changing my blog layout when _________.
I'm really bored

3. If more people would be _________, the world would be a better place.
humane

4. I really should __________ more often.
eat protein - Maybe then I'd get bigger faster

5. The weather we're having right now is ________.
pleasant - For now at least...

6. When it's time to plant a garden, I'd like to plant ________.
pretty flowers?

7. When I'm running late, I sometimes forget to _________.
turn off the lights

8. When I can't think of anything to blog about, I usually _________.
browse Technorati

No comments: