Monday, October 10, 2005

Software Liability and Ofun

I had two quizzes and two tests today (in addition to a meeting) and I feel pretty exhausted. And after this post I have to get through Unit 11 for EE so I can do that unit test tomorrow. Maybe things will slow down tomorrow? With Apple coming and a CS 307 review that I'm running, fat chance! What I really want to start off talking about though is this editorial from the BBC responding to attacks on a previous article of theirs regarding accountability for software. Companies should definitely be held to some assurance that their products are useable without inflicting damage, but the real issue is to what extent? I think he takes it a little too far by suggesting completely error-free code because on large-scale products it's far from likely and probably not cheap enough to make it worthwhile, but I think it's important to find a happy medium. What is -ofun though? It's all about having fun while optimizing a project in software development, and those of you who work in Linux are probably more likely to get the joke inherent in the name. He makes some interesting points, but they seem like radically liberal ideas in today's more structured world. I don't even think companies like Google embrace all those ideas! Still, it would be nice in a Utopian society.

If I had to choose another main topic for today it would definitely be the fleeting concept of a personal computer. The article I've cited makes a wholly valid point that the decreasing cost and size of portable memory is making it easier to take your most important personal files/programs with you wherever you go, and I really hope that idea spreads more to public schools (for eBooks). I don't mean to keep harping on how greedy the music industry is becoming, but I just have to mention how nuts it is that they want a portion of the revenues from ads displayed in search engines when an artist or song is queried. I understand wanting revenue from music videos, but only because that's content they own; this is pushing it. Meanwhile, Yahoo is jumping on the podcast wagon with a service of their own to download and review them and I'm quite impressed so check it out. Lastly, before you decide to buy a personal photo printer read this article.

Click to enlarge the poster

International posters seem to always look a lot better than our posters, and that's the UK poster for none other than Peter Jackson's King Kong. They even put up another video journal entry detailing more about the animation process. A while ago there was some talk from Tom Arnold of a sequel to True Lies in the near future and hottie Eliza Dushku seems to corroborate this story! If this actually happens it would make me so excited because the original was one of the first action movies I truly fell in love with. Speaking of hotties, Smallville's Kristin Kreuk may soon be slated to star in a movie called Get Smart with Steve Carell and you can be sure that I'll let you know if that happens. Lastly, if you need any more reason to see Feast when it comes out then read this. It may not be a Donnie Darko, but it sounds like an impressive first movie.

Now for some Monday Madness:

1. Name one productive thing you accomplished this past weekend.
I can name a ton, but for one I cleaned the tub and my sinks. I've never seen either sink so white before!

2. Name two things that you look forward to doing.
I look forward to sitting (or standing, more likely) in my sweet seats in the horseshoe for the Colorado game on Saturday. I'm also looking forward to taking a look at the DVDs that Dzung was kind enough to burn for me of my home videos (under two hours of footage that's all I have of my childhood on video).

3. Name three things that gross you out.
Moldy bread (mainly because I've looked at it under a microscope in high school Biology and it's scarred me for life), naked old people (hey, don't glare at me), and severely overweight people who don't try to improve their situation but rather gorge themselves with food.

4. Name four things that you normally do on a daily basis.
Brush my teeth, bathe, blog, and eat at least three meals. The last thing is the most important.

5. Name five things that you own that you think you could get rid of and not miss.
My CS 315 textbook (worst use of money ever), my Titanic soundtrack (I bought it a very long time ago), a Bank of America waterbottle I've never used, Muruku (it's an Indian snack I found in my pantry), and that's about it. I try to live minimally here.

No comments: