Monday, October 24, 2005

So Long, DOS

I was quarantined tonight for two hours tonight because I went into the ESB for 20 minutes to write up an event report in the NSC office. That has nothing to do with anything aside from the fact that I'm kind of ticked that I lost two hours I could've spent sleeping or doing homework to a false radiation alarm. The cops were just doing their job so I don't blame them, but I'm disappointed that the college doesn't check out these detectors (smoke and radiation) more often. Anyway, the main topic is that Microsoft has made available an early beta version of its Microsoft Command Shell (MSH) for Vista and Ars Technica put up a rather lengthy look at DOS's long overdue replacement. I thought that it would just be a reinvention of Linux or an extension of MS DOS at the most, but it's actually a completely different beast and I'm wildly impressed that they put so much into it. It's clearly not as intuitive as Bash and it's almost as if you're programming to have to get around on it, but it's a marked step up from their historically weak command line interface.

Inflation has been on the rise as of late, but only for the short term because of energy and food prices being the only real components going up. It makes people ancy about their salaries, and probably makes techies concerned about the fact that IT is propagating a trend of having the lowest pay raises of most industries. IGN has an interview with J Allard in which he talks a lot about the Xbox 360 and reveals that they're actually doing a lot to incorporate other technologies, even of rivals (such as Apple). I don't know how sincere they are about that since he also downplays the advantages that the PS3 has over them. Lastly, if you've seen the "All Your Base Are Belong to Us" video online, then be sure to check out the equally awesome All Your Base Rhapsody.

There's not a whole lot of great movie news today. We have word that Sin City will soon be on the boob tube, but that's really all we know about it. I don't think it'll be handled well, and I'd prefer for them to just keep it on the big screen. The sequel to the Fantastic Four movie has already tentatively been set to the July 4th weekend of 2007, and I get the feeling that this is another train wreck waiting to happen (ala Mortal Kombat: Annihilation). Which reminds me, this comic depicts exactly what I think Doom is probably like. AICN got another review for Chan-wook Park's Sympathy for Lady Vengeance from someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about but are a little conflicted about how they feel given Oldboy. I don't think there's much doubt that it's a good movie though. Lastly, we're long overdue for a spoof movie so next year we have Date Movie to look forward to featuring Alyson Hannigan. I'll even show you a picture of her since I think her hotness is often overlooked:

Click to enlarge

You guessed it, it's time for some Monday Madness:

1. diamonds or pearls?
Diamonds, because they just look better (and they're forever).
2. paperback or hardcover books?
Paperback, just because they're cheaper and you feel less guilty to bend them.
3. carpet or hardwood floors?
Carpet, I just like the softness under my feet.
4. dogs or cats?
Dogs, because they show their love more and they're more fun.
5. fluffy or firm pillow?
Fluffy. Why would you want a firm pillow?
6. fine point or medium point pens?
Medium point, only because it's what I'm used to.
7. clocks a little fast or on time?
A little fast at home for my alarm, but I keep my wristwatch on time.
8. mahjong or spider solitaire (or other)?
What? I don't know what either of those games are (I've heard of the former, but I have no idea how to play it).
9. wall calendar or desk calendar?
Wall calendar, because I've found that desk calendars clutter your desk more (unless it's really huge).
10. 'Survivor' or 'The Amazing Race?
They both suck, so neither.

2 comments:

LizzieDaisy said...

I need to get Monday Madness on my meme blog. Someone remind me next week. :)

Oh, and I don't know if it's the Queen lover in me or the nerd, but the All Your Base Rapsody rocked out. LOL.

Connie said...

poor child you were amongst the fallen at esb, well not fallen but still hahah i heard about it, yay now i know a SURVIVOR :]. dude All Your Base Rhapsody is highlarious