Tuesday, October 25, 2005

eBay Has New Competition?

For those of you who don't believe my story yesterday about being quarantined you can read all about it here. I actually forgot to mention yesterday that we're #1 in the BCS, and though we won't be next week it's still quite exciting while it lasts. Oh, and while I'm mentioning all this stuff I should remind you all that early voting has begun. The two big amendments for me were the gay marriage ban (vote 'against') and one that grants the legislature the power to set commercial interest rates (make damn sure you vote 'against'). The main topic probably won't interest many of you but it is the biggest item today in technology. You'll soon bear witness to the unveiling of Google Base, which sounds kind of like Craig's List. They posit it as a database to store all kinds of information to be made searchable online, but it's clear that they're veering towards classified ads. Could this simplistic style truly pose a threat to the more heavy-duty eBay interface?

Speaking of Google, they also released the results of their Summer of Code effort and seems to have gone well. If you shed a tear every time you fill up gas then you may be interested in a car that's being developed that makes its own fuel using pure zinc to produce hydrogen. I don't understand all the specifics, and though it may not be feasible in the short-term it does sound like a real cool prospect. Disney is the first movie studio embracing antipiracy technology for DVD screeners given to award committees, and it would basically just ensure that only a specially encoded player could play the DVD. Do they really have money to blow on this with the box office slump and all? Lastly, if you don't know what processor best serves your need, ExtremeTech conducted a thorough battery of tests on the most prominent ones to aid you in your decision so give that a look.
It looks like AMD whoops Intel.

Click to enlarge

Much like them, I'm not too thrilled about today's movie news. As you can presume though, there are some new pictures from the upcoming Harry Potter flick to check out including some Indian people (yay, Hindustan). There are even a few new shots from Clerks 2 with a supposed "spoiler" picture that I don't quite get. If you'd rather just watch a neat fight sequence though then check out this clip from The Legend of Zorro with Catherine Zeta-Jones kicking ass and taking names. If your hopes were previously dashed for Watchmen then keep your head up because it may get made, eventually, after all. What really sounds cool though is that the Weinsteins have secured the rights to a book called Kung Fu High School and are having the writer of Better Luck Tomorrow (Ernesto Feronda) write the screenplay! It actually does sound pretty good so just think of Volcano High but much better.

I'm going to go with the Tuesday Twosome this week:

1. Who was your best friend when you were a child? Who is your best friend now?
The kids at school really didn't like me much so I didn't have one. I'll just go with my brother. It's hard to say now. I'd like to think I just have a few close friends (Josh, Robert, Jeremy) rather than a best friend.

2. What is the longest crush/relationship you have had? What is the shortest crush/relationship you have had?
I had a crush on a girl my sophomore and some of my junior year of high school. I won't reveal her name for a number of reasons, but it did cause me to lose my baby fat. The shortest one was probably a day, but I definitely won't reveal that one since we're still friends today.

3. What is your first thought when waking up in the morning? What is your first thought before you go to bed?
What I'm going to eat for breakfast in the morning, and at night it's usually counting how much sleep I'll get.

4. Do you get along with your family? Are you easy to get along with?
I'd say so. I also think that I'm pretty easy to get along with. I can't really think of anyone who doesn't like me who wasn't a total jerk to me first.
5. What is one thing scientists should invent? What is one thing you wish scientists did not invent?

No comments: