Monday, October 30, 2006

YouTube Purge

Tonight has been busy for me, so you're going to see a reduced post. Sorry, it's the way things have to be. YouTube has begun purging lots of content from Comedy Central that was quite popular but was clearly copyrighted. It's a funny situation though because on one hand, the people watching these clips are the key demographics for these shows, but, on the other hand, someone has to pay the piper. My crazy solution: why not partner with YouTube? The Motherload is nice, but it's clearly not good enough if people are turning to YouTube. Why not put clips on YouTube instead and stick commercials for those very shows to the end of them? I know I know, advertising on YouTube is evil and blah blah blah. However, this is Comedy Central's material and they have every right to advertise on their own content if they're providing it for free, and it only makes sense that they'd try advertising for other Comedy Central programming. Who knows, they may actually already be considering this option, but for now a lot of people are likely ranting about how they have to actually watch commercial to see these great shows, and the world somehow finds a way to move on.

Click to enlargeI like to shy away from talking about random tech products simply because there are too many out there that aren't exciting to most of you, I'm sure, but this one is really neat. It's a USB drive that serves as an FM tuner for your computer for just $20. I definitely wanted the radio while I was at work over the summer because bringing my own CDs got tiresome, and you'd be surprised how many people rely on the radio at work so I think this is a great thing. Plus, it's nice for when you're on the road with your laptop and your iPod battery dies on you. If you haven't heard of MythTV before, it's just a homebrew DVR project, and there's a quick read here on how it's so effective at skipping ads. I just find it fascinating, especially because this feature alone could ruin television as we know. I'm sure it won't because the networks aren't dumb, but just funny how easy it is. GMail may be expanding to 15 GB soon as people are reporting massive increases in their mailbox capacities, but it could just be a bug. Something to keep your eye on though. Lastly, if you haven't jumped on the FoxIt bandwagon, try Adobe's new lighter reader.

Guess what? Halo has been indefinitely postponed, which is another way of saying that it was effectively canned. I'm not too sad about it, but it does sound like it had a chance for being halfway decent. What's more interesting is that Lionsgate has already committed to Saw 4 and having it in theaters next Halloween! This series has to get old at some point, come on people. Lastly, Superman Returns is surprisingly getting a sequel. The receipts on the Singer-directed movie weren't mind-blowing or anything, but I guess it was enough to warrant a sequel with Singer still aboard though with a budget under $200 million. However will he make a movie without an unlimited supply of money?!

Now for some Monday Madness:

1. From bev:
Small town or big city?

Big city, because I like the activity.

2. From turtlemoonwave:
Do you have a favorite childhood memory, and if so, would you share it?

My childhood isn't something I enjoy remembering. If anything though, I had fun visiting my Aunt out in San Antonio though because she pampered me and I had other cousins there also.

3. From cat:
How do you calm down when something has really upset and/or angered you? Do you swallow it? Call a friend and rant? Go in the bathroom and cry? Punch a wall? Walk around muttering to yourself, complete with scary hand gestures?

Mostly cry myself to sleep. Ok, not really, I'll probably throw something that's not breakable (like a pillow) or play a really violent video game for a short while.

4. From dna princess:
What attracts you to memes?'

A chance to be introspective without having a blog that focuses on the minutia of my day-to-day life.

5. From mads:
How reliant are you on computers to get through your day?

Very. I'll leave it at that so as to not embarrass myself.

6. From tizzie:
In a crisis, are you calm or do you panic?

A little of both. If the crisis is really bad (like life/death), I'll probably panic. Usually though, I can calm myself down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I feel the urge of throwing things when I'm mad but I guess I'm too afraid of breaking something important or sentimental. I don't mind throwing a pillow though. :D

Take care,
Rach