Monday, October 16, 2006

Interview with a CEO

When your main topic covers an interview with Steve Jobs, it's hard to make a catchy topic, especially one that doesn't sound Apple fanboyish. With that being said, I'm going to be applauding Steve Jobs for how candid he is in this interview and not nearly as superficial as I usually see in tech interviews (which is why I usually don't mention tech or game interviews here). He makes the most sense when talking about iTunes and that he didn't want higher prices in iTunes because they're trying to compete with piracy and raising prices would definitely feel like betrayal to a lot of music lovers after they've committed to a library of FairPlay music and an iPod and such. His answers reflect exactly what his products are like, and I think that shows a great deal of control on his part over his company, which is good because as much as hierarchy can suck, it's so vital for someone to keep a company focused. I think he was lying when he said that they didn't aim to make their products "cool," I think that marketing always works it in to their design plans. The most interesting part of the interview is when he scoffs at Zune's WiFi functionality, much like many tech pundits and webcomics have. He doesn't seem concerned at all with the Zune, and I don't see much reason why he should. I still haven't found many people day-to-day who know what it is yet.

That's not all I have for Apple though, they've filed for rights to the iPhone trademark, which means that they're either going out of their way to keep us rumoring an iPhone or that they really have been pumping R&D into it and are going to come out with it. Also, many think that we may see a (RED) MacBook from Apple, which would be really neat, but I'm not sure that they'll be so bold as to come out with a red MacBook or if it's even physically readily feasible. Still, I think it'd look hot in a fiery red. TechCrunch has put together a really useful roundup of the big players in digital movie downloads, and I definitely recommend checking it out if you're at all interested in what's out there. I can't decide what service is best right now, and I don't think that there's quite a clear winner yet like there was for music with iTunes. It's still a fledgling industry, but worth keeping an eye on. Speaking of digital media, CNet often has some decent multimedia and they've decided to create an online TV channel with decent quality for all their newest reviews, previews, and other video features. The drawback is that they're all rather short, of course. Lastly, if you never know what do when your ISP goes down, you'll enjoy this list.

It looks like Hugh Jackman is just a year away from portraying everyone's favorite X-Men character in Wolverine now that the script is done and they just have to work on pre-production. I'm always skeptical about spinoffs, but if Jackman is excited about it then I hope that this will be the real deal. Oliver Stone may be making another 9/11 movie called Jawbreaker dealing with America's response to it, and I think that this would be a horrible movie since we're kind of still responding to it. If you want to make a movie just about 9/11 or hero stories then that's all well and good, but when you're actually taking a look at something as protracted as our response to it, you have to wait like 10-15 years before you can get a worthwhile perspective. Lastly, Rogue Pictures has some clips up from Hot Fuzz, which I think could be pretty funny. It's from the same people who brought you Shaun of the Dead with the same two main characters, so that gives you an idea of the type of humor, but this time it's with cops (kind of like Super Troopers, but more British).

Before I conclude here, I have to share a really great PostSecret postcard. I think that this has been my life's story up til more recently, and I hope that I really have turned a new leaf (some of you, and you know who you are, know what I'm talking about).

Click to enlarge

Now for some Monday Madness:

1. Name 10 things you would do if you had more time.
Sleep 8-9 hours a night.
Find people to go to salsa clubs with regularly and learn more moves.
Practice classical guitar every night.
Pick up electric guitar.
Read aloud for longer to help with my cluttering.
Write scripts to make some of my computer tasks more automated.
Watch some of the great video podcasts I've been missing out on.
Clean my apartment more often.
Read the Stephen King books that have been sitting dormant on my bookshelf.
Workout independently even when I have Weight Training class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. That's a nice list. Salsa is such a beautiful dance to watch. Hope you find precious time to enjoy salsa and playing the guitar.

Take care,
Rach