Friday, October 06, 2006

President's Job

I've wasted too much time doing nothing tonight, I guess because I'm still tired (plus the 3 hour drive to Houston is always a pain). It was my first trip on 290E since the accident though, so I'm glad I made it back in one piece again, car and all. Anyway, I really only feel like talking about this clip from The Daily Show that largely pulls out ridiculous clips of George W Bush trying to explain his job. His explanation of his job is horrible, and it makes you wonder what he really does. He's so high up that you've gotta figure that he knows very little other than politics and public relations, which he's even worse at, by the way. I love the punches that Jon pulls because Bush leaves himself so open to them. I personally think that Bush has good intentions, but his idea of the right things to do is just so warped. I think that it's impossible for a president to lead his country anywhere near perfection: there will always be plenty of dissenters. However, you have to wonder, what has Bush really done to appease the masses? My hot button issue is education, and he's been really bad at promoting it, and it pisses me off because there are all these jobs in science available (largely in technology) that could really jumpstart our economy but not even students and he's doing nothing to alleviate that. When it comes down to it, education is the bedrock of any nation. Without smart people, how will we keep the US in the forefront? Who will make the world a better place to live in? Who will keep our economy from collapse? Certainly not Bush, he hasn't taken much a stab at any of these, and that's what really disappoints me about him. So you have to ask yourself, what does he really do?

Apparently, MacBook Pros with Core 2 Duo processors are, in fact, on their way and will arrive in time for the holidays according to AppleInsider. Do we believe them? Apple Matters actually analyzed all of Think Secret's predictions from the past year or so and found out they they're right half the time, but it would be cool to see that contrasted to AppleInsider. Anyway, I think Merom notebooks from Apple are a safe bet, and Q4 of this year makes sense. There's been a lot of negative press for the PS3 on overheating that I haven't covered because it sounded unfounded, and it looks like I was right. It must've just been a lemon unit, and I think there's enough to pick on Sony about without having to harp on some bad luck. If you're interested in creating your own startup company, you may find this article enlightening bringing out a lot of issues I never thought about. Business is such a foreign beast from programming and, despite being largely simpler, I think it's easy to be thrown off by it if you're not careful and jump headfirst into your own software company. If you've ever wanted to sort your images better, you'll get a kick out of this. Lastly, if you're tired of Tetris, try Ring Mania instead.

All I have today is multimedia. We finally have a real trailer for The Nativity Story, and I really don't know what to make of it. It looks like it could be really good, but I just hope that it doesn't get too caught up with itself. I just don't want it to be corny bible movie, I want it to be meaningful. FilmForce snagged a behind-the-scenes look at Apocalypto, and Mel Gibson definitely seems really into the movie. I just wonder what the story will really be like. Lastly, Yahoo Movies has an exclusive clip for Man of the Year, which I'm actually starting to like now. I don't know if I like their marketing campaign, but I think I like the overall storyline, and Robin Williams in that role.

Before I conclude, I found this postcard on PostSecret and had to share it. I feel this way sometimes myself, especially when girls pass me up because I'm not white, but I wouldn't trade my skin color for the world.

Click to enlarge

Now for Friday's Feast:

Appetizer
Name a song you know by heart.

"Fix You" by Coldplay

Soup
What will you absolutely not do in front of another person?

Urinate. I'm totally urinal shy. I don't like the risk of some other guy seeing my junk.

Salad
How often do you use mouthwash and what kind do you like?

Almost never. I just brush vigorously. I think that brushing and flossing is way better than mouthwash.

Main Course
Finish this sentence: I am embarrassed when...

I wave at people I think are waving at me but they're not. Or when I try saying 'hi' to people that don't hear me when I say it.

Dessert
What was the last food you craved?

Probably some ice cream earlier today, but I definitely had my fill of that.

Have a fun weekend everyone. And by the way, it's 12:05 AM, and OU still sucks! =)

2 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

I too have trouble figuring out exactly what Apocalyptico (sp?) is about, but it does look fascinating .. I'll definitely take a chance on it since it seems to be so elaborately constructed

Jennyfer said...

Awww Elton.

I wouldn't trade you for any white friend I have!