Monday, July 11, 2005

What Makes a Good FPS

Let me start out with an example of a failure: Doom 3. Do you remember Doom 3? Probably not, because after the anticipation of the release all the fans kind of swept it under the rug. So why did it suck? They kind of took a step backwards and decided to create fear through scripted idiocy, and the game didn't seem like much of a challenge. The new precedent has been set by Half-Life 2. I've mentioned my undying love for that game before, but that guy really says it best. When a story drives a game like that and makes it enjoyable (unlike the overblown dialogue of Metal Gear Solid 2) it really is something. It's all part of the immense amount of attention they paid to the little details in the game. How many games have interactive cut scenes like it does? The point is that it just innovated with so many little things. I don't recall having seen a well implemented gravity gun in a previous game, but I can recall surprise scares (ala Resident Evil). Some people say that FPS games are easy to get tired of, but with the right developer they can be tons of fun.

Nice shades


I know I've been saying innovation a lot since yesterday's post, but there is some more of it going on today. Can you imagine seeing multimedia with full screen viewing from your cell phone? MicroOptical Corp. can and has developed CyberDisplay microdisplays via binocular video eyewear. It looks like it'll be pretty nifty, but it may be awhile before it's available over here. Cell phones may also soon be able to browse the Internet faster thanks to xMax, which exploits busy radio signals to sneak in broadband signals. Broadband signals may not be safe for long though with the Justice Department trying to monitor internet access on flights to control terrorism. How much "protection" is too much though? But anyway, another cool futuristic dream that is starting to be reality is replacing textbooks with computers, which is what an Arizona school is doing. Their school is totally electronic and wireless so they don't have to keep buying textbooks each year, and I wished I had that in high school rather than my heavy backpack. Lastly, Ars Technica has a totally awesome article exposing the truth behind Apple's switch to Intel. At the heart of the deal, Intel chips could do wonders for their iPod line and that's what's currently driving the company's revenue.

There's some interesting movie news today. If you couldn't get enough of the Focker family now there's Meet the Little Focker to highlight the tale of their firstborn and hopefully hilarity will ensue. I missed the second movie myself though so not much more I can say there. There's much more to say about The Island with many reviews fresh off the recent screening for it, and the verdict so far seems to be that it's a good summer flick though there were undoubtedly a few naysayers. There are also some great reviews for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which apparently had a secret very early screening recently that seemed to go pretty well. I love the first three movies so I hope this one is as good as they say. The next half-decent comedy film will probably be Wedding Crashers, and IGN has a pretty good interview with the leading men. Family Guy fanatics can rejoice in the upcoming release of a DVD dedicated to Stewie, which I had seen on Adult Swim and now we have more details. Apparently it's an 83 minute feature and has some deleted scenes from the show so it should be pretty fun. Lastly, I think it's hilarious they're making a movie called Ashlee Undiscovered where the lesser Simpson sibling plays a would-be actress, and will probably blow.

Now for some Monday Madness:

1. What book are you currently reading? (from dawn)
Just my History and Government books :( I really want to read some Stephen King, but time is fleeting.
2. Have you ever experienced the loss of a pet? How did you deal with it?
Nope.
Would you get a new pet, and why? (from peanutbutterfly)
I would, but my dad won't let me. I think I'd need a dog that doesn't shed hair though or I may go crazy with cleaning up hair.
3. Is anyone in your family in the armed services? (from teresa)
Yes, my cousin Prem. The poor guy started training last summer and then went to Iraq a few months later. We're keeping our fingers crossed that he'll come back this November. Our family gatherings feel so strange without him and his wife there.
4. If you have or have had a girlfriend/boyfriend, did you tell your parents about her/him without them prying for the information? (from shady88)
If I had a girlfriend my parents would kill me. They're too traditional I'm afraid, but I'm working out overriding that.
5. What was your favorite childhood pet and tell me a few things about it. (from beth)
I want a doggie *sniffle* :(
6. Have you ever been in love? (from seren)
I've learned to love people in my life, yes. But if you mean had a significant other who I've fallen in love with I'd have to say no. I know I'm too young to say this, but I think I'm starting to understand what it is and what it's not.
7. What's your favorite activity? (from robyn)
Hacking your computer! Just kidding, as if I could do that. I'm not really sure to tell you the truth. Dancing? Playing classical guitar? Drinking games? Who knows, as long as it involves other people. I'm very people-oriented.

2 comments:

LizzieDaisy said...

First, I know there are lots of "Prem"s in the world, but that was weird as my sister has a good friend named Prem. Who is married. Who I hope is not there. Scary. Hope the best for your cousin.

Sorry you have never had a pet. I hope you get a dog soon. Remember that when you have kids. :) Besides, having a pet teaches them responsibility, not just love.

And gee, no books? What a bummer. You're not bringing back any good memories of college here...

Finally, you've got me all excited about the next Focker movie. Do you know when that comes out? I didn't think the last one was as good as the first, but it was still funny. A baby one could be hilarious if they do it right.

Anonymous said...

Doom 3 was awesome. I don't know what you're talking about.

Half-Life 2 was definitely better, but then again, I've always been a HL fan more than a Doom fan. But Doom 3 far surpassed the originals.