Saturday, July 23, 2005

Wedding Crashers

Are you really surprised to see my Friday post on a Saturday night? This time I really don't have a good excuse other than I wanted to see Wedding Crashers with my brother and his girlfriend and I decided to stay the night. I'll admit that when I first heard about the movie I was very skeptical of it consisting of stupid, dirty jokes because of the R rating and just wouldn't have enough substance. I'm not the greatest at first impressions though. This is the best comedy to come out this year so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if The 40-year-old Virgin took the throne away. Under no circumstances should you take a child with you or your parents (unless they're just that cool) because it really is quite raunchy. What's amazing is how these jokes can be R-rated and be funny without you having to feel guilty about it. When you see Vince Vaughn's level 5 clinger (Isla Fisher) giving him an hj at the dinner table, it's actually hilarious. It's like when you saw Dodgeball and you didn't think a guy getting hit by a wrench would be funny. The few cameos in this movie were nice and it had more heart than you'd expect without being really corny or totally far-fetched, but it had its problems. Why would you hire Christopher Walken and make him say just ordinary lines? This is a guy who once told a story about keeping a watch up his ass through a war and you have him as a run-of-the-mill father? Some scenes were unnecessary, like the scene with the mother for those of who you have seen it that had no follow-up. Despite some minor quibbles like this though, it's a solid comedy and I'd give it a B+.

I know that what you really want though is the nerd news. You'd think that Microsoft didn't already have enough on its plate with Google countersuing them over how they restrict the rights of employees to change jobs. However, they also decided that they'd release the name of Longhorn: it is now Windows Vista. My brother was joking about how this will be interesting for Indian FOBs to say and I find it a bit odd myself since you think more of a vacation home than a program, but as long as it has it where it counts. Google has more problems than just litigation though with drug rings using Orkut to conduct business. That sounds like an interesting testimonial to have and in case you don't know, Orkut is kinda like Facebook. The biggest way to keep in touch online nowadays though seems to be Instant Messenger, and losers like me may want to investigate how popular they are. If you're looking for some good podcasts to listen to click here and read away. If you keep reading my blog rather though, you're probably more easily driven to distraction by technology like blogs and it turns out that you are not alone. I keep talking about that because I just think it's funny how easily our minds can be kept away from what we need to do.

Click to enlargeBryan Singer has finally decided on a logo to be officially associated with Superman Returns as the excitement continues for the long rested red-caped crusader. The most exciting movie news today though is really the advent of a trailer for V for Vendetta (from the Wachowski Brothers). Seeing Natalie Portman bald is a little scary, but the movie looks like it'll be awesome. IGN got their trailer for The Fog working if you're still interested in the horror flick. They also have some FX pictures from War of the Worlds if you're into that movie, but I have still yet to see it unfortunately. What's really cool though is the pictures that JoBlo found of the Ghost Rider bike.

Click to see the bike even bigger

Just a couple of quick random things. It turns out, predictably, that some retailers still don't want to carry San Andreas even after it gets cleaned up. Not having Wal-mart or Best Buy on their side could hurt Take Two, but it could also make them a martyr in the minds of gamers. I can't believe that I neglected to notice last week that 24 received 9 Emmy nominations including Best Casting and Best Lead Actor in a drama series.

Now for Friday's Feast (remember, we're pretending that it's still Friday):

Appetizer
What kind of car do you drive? If you could make an even trade for any other car, what would you want to drive?

A 1990 Nissan Maxima unfortunately, and no one steals it so I have to keep driving it! I'd love an Accord or an Altima or even a Toyota (Corolla or Camry). I'm all for a safe, affordable, reliable car for now.

Soup
Take your phone number and add each number together separately (example: 8+6+7+5+3+0+9=38) - what's the total?

It adds up to be 53 for my cell number and 59 for my home phone in Houston.

Salad
When were you last outside, and what were you doing?

I was last outside a few hours ago swimming with my cousin and my Aunt's nephew (no direct relation to me, just through her as my mom's brother's wife).

Main Course
What is your favorite restaurant, and what do you usually order there?

I don't know that I really have a favorite restaurant. Maybe Tapioca House? =P I don't eat out often enough to have one, but I do love meat so I could temporarily go with Saltgrass Steakhouse (I have not been to Salt Lick yet).

Dessert
Name 3 things in which you occasionally indulge.

Booze, fattening deserts (like Cold Stone Creations), and Stephen King (time is so precious that he's an indulgence now).

No comments: