Monday, July 18, 2005

Be Cool in the Closet

Miss me? You know you did, just admit it. The title is strange I'll admit, but it'll all come together by the end of this paragraph. Oh, and if you want to read more about the soccer games yesterday then click here (or here for Panama v. S. Africa). I had read some bad things about Be Cool, but I was still curious to see it since it had some big names in it and my brother had already rented it anyway. It ended up being a decent popcorn flick. It was perfect to end a relaxing weekend because it wasn't meant for you to think on much. The plot has obvious issues, but the script is better than I would've thought and the acting was feasible. The shining star had to be The Rock though playing a gay bodyguard and providing a whole lot of comic relief and had us rewinding it for more. I give it a B- because while you shouldn't go out of your way to see it, it is fun to watch. Another thing we checked out last night upon my brother's urging was R. Kelly's "Trapped in a Closet" hip hopera (click on 'Video'). This is the stupidest piece of R&B I've seen. Sure it rhymes well, but he's just singing a story! And it's incredibly far-fetched. My advice: watch the first chapter and then check out the Jimmy Kimmel parody about pizza. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

I have a ton of technology news that I've whittled down to the very best stuff. EWeek.com has its own opinion on why Apple switched to Intel, and they believe it has to do with an up-and-coming network protocol that Longhorn will supposedly support. Not to be outdone, it seems that Apple may be rushing to Intel so that it isn't left in the cold and it's plausible as a contributing reason but not the main one. This coupled with Apple's ambitions for an online video store (similar to iTunes) could make them quite a powerhouse very soon. I have high hopes for them. Microsoft seems unperturbed though and are more focused on urging developers rather to start development efforts for Internet Explorer 7. I think it makes them sound a little pompous, but hopefully they can back up their claims of this browser being good. Meanwhile, it turns out that 56.2% of software developers used open source modules in their process, and I just find it interested that it's actually on the rise. Another thing on the rise is spyware, and it turns out that people are beginning to toss their computers rather than fight the battle. I can totally relate to them because it can be quite frustrating, but I just think it's funny that it's such a common practice. Another thing I found a bit humorous was this article about how to cover your slacking at work, and may be relevant for many of you. Lastly, take a quick glance at how computers were taught to work about 25 years ago.

I'm kind of tired tonight so thankfully there isn't too much movie news. The winner at the box office this weekend was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with $55.4 million and fellow opener Wedding Crashers managed to pull in almost its whole budget at $32.2 million, and I find both figures pleasing given the prior box office slump. Fantastic Four actually had a 60% drop at third and Batman Begins is about a million away from grossing more than Batman Forever. Brett Ratner looks to have abandoned hopes for now of a Rush Hour 3 in favor of a heist film (presumable a comedy) featuring Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock conceived by Murphy and to begin after X3 wraps up. Speaking of X-men, it seems that the rumors of Ben Foster being Angel are starting to solidify, and the race to finish the movie continues. If you're looking for an interesting foreign film IGN has the first 6 minutes from a promising German crime movie called The Edukators and will be out nationwide by August. Lastly, take a look at the teaser poster for the highly anticipated Southland Tales movie (coupled with the release of the graphic novels):

It's not much, but it's something!


Just a couple of quick last things. With all the Hot Coffee mod controversy lately I thought that this article would be helpful for those of you who don't know how the ESRB ratings work. I think that this attack on the ESRB and calls for FTC regulations are ridiculous and you're hard-pressed to find an incorrect rating on a game. A guy at Flexbeta posted the top 5 things he'd like to see in the next 5 years, and he makes some good points.

Now for some Monday Madness:

1. Mal asks... What is the last thing you do at night?
On most nights it's brushing my teeth, but before that I usually play guitar for a while.
2. Wil asks... Where were you when the lights went out?
The only time this summer I've been stuck without electricity was at 24 Hour Fitness and I waited there for 30 minutes before going to another location.
3. Andrea asks... What's on your refrigerator?
A bunch of random magnets my mom has collected.
4. Jenny asks... What is your ideal vacation spot?
Probably New York City because there's so much fun to be had there.
5. Kia asks... What's the sexiest language in the world?
Portuguese maybe? It is pretty cool to listen to.
6. Zeno asks... Have you ever made a wish on a shooting star and had that wish come true?
I've never wished on one before because I don't see one all too often out here in the city.
7. Bunnykissd asks... We're more than halfway through the year now; how are you doing with your New Year's resolutions?
I'm getting somewhere with my cluttering, but I need to kick into overdrive now.

No comments: