Saturday, December 23, 2006

Console War Continues

I went to CompUSA today to get this Bluetooth headset that was free (Motorola H300), and so far so good. It's great to finally have a wireless headset! Anyway, the point is that on the way in I saw a big sign in front of the front door saying "We have the PS3," which I remarked to my dad had to be total crap because no one has PS3. Lo and behold, to the left is a picture taken by someone in an entirely different state at their local Wal-mart, and a similar story is taking place across the nation. What's going on? No one wants a freaking PS3 anymore! People literally have them sitting in their closets because they thought they could sell them off on eBay but the demand is lower than the supply now, which is low enough as it is. I guess it could be that people who want a PS3 just don't know that it's in stores, but it's the busiest time of year right now. If they're not selling like hot cakes now, when will they? In the mean time, the Wii has taken the lead in surveys and the Xbox 360 lagging far behind in second. What's really funny is that people are actually trading in their PS3s for Wiis! I still remember back when the PS3 was first unveiled how optimistic I was, compared with this E3 where it looked like junk, and now it's failing miserably. I'm inclined to believe that it can be saved, but it's going to take one Hell of a miracle (i.e. a really incredible killer app).

Mark Zuckerberg is officially a total moron. Leaked documents suggest that he wasn't even willing to sell Facebook to Yahoo for $1.6 billion, which is probably enough money to buy a small country. What does he think he has here? I don't see the site lasting for forever because he keeps alienating his users, and it's starting to become too big for its own good. People are starting to write it off as too mainstream. Anyway, I would've just sold and started another, better company with the cash. Have you wondered why the iPods are always the same price? I knew that Apple had some sort of deal where retailers had to follow their set prices, but I didn't know that it was really just minimum advertised price (MAP), as this article points out. Still, I have a feeling that Apple is threatening these retailers that they'll stop selling them their stuff if they don't follow their pricing. Is free advertising money really enough to sway them into creating a flat market for Apple products? If you like fun things in flash, you'll love this digital toy. It's just an intensely interactive drag-and-drop thing. Go ahead, try it out! It's just so cool. Anyway, also neat is this fake name generator. Apparently, it used to cost money before but is now free. Lastly, I have one more nifty thing for you: an optical illusion. It's not a joke, it really is an optical illusion. If you don't believe it, try going through it backwards.

The trailer for Black Sheep is up, and it's mildly amusing but I didn't actually laugh in it. It's a very similar kind of parody on horror movies as Shaun of the Dead, so if you appreciate that kind of humor you'll probably enjoy this one as well. Here's a crazy rumor for you: Keanu Reeves may be playing the lead role in the forthcoming Speed Racer movie, which shouldn't be too big of a shock since it is coming from the Wachowski Brothers. It sounds like a fairly reliable rumor though, so don't toss it to the wayside too quickly. Wizard has revealed some interesting tidbits from the comic book movies that are in production right now, and what I found most interesting is that Eva Mendes has actually been trying to increase her bust line for her role in Ghost Rider because her character in the comics is drawn rather busty. She looks pretty hot as it is, but far be it from me to discourage her from trying to naturally grow larger breasts. Anyway, speaking of hotness, Alicia Keys looks pretty smoking in this shot from Smokin' Aces, and you can find other new pictures over here.



I'm going to go for the Saturday Six meme today:

1. How many Christmas Cards did you receive from people you hadn't sent cards to, after the "mailing deadline?" Did you send a card anyway?
My parents do all the card mailing, so no idea =)

2. At this point, do you weigh more or less than you did on January 1, 2006? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Hopefully more. I've been trying to gain weight, obviously in muscle not fat, and I think it worked. But I don't think I got a whole lot bigger.

3. When the clock strikes Midnight on New Year's, will you be at home, at a party, or somewhere else?
I'll be at home and at a party since the party is at my place! My brother is cranky and reluctant on the dancing, so I'm going to have to really blaze it up with the musical selection.

4. Take the quiz: What's your holiday stress level?
Your Holiday Stress Level Is Low

You take it easy over the holidays, and you only take on what you can handle.
You know the holidays are about celebrating and fun - not standing in line at the mall!


5. Have you ever been the designated driver at a party or outing with your friends?
I drove my friends home after a Halloween party, but I don't think any of them were close to drunk, we just didn't want to go in two cars to the same place.

6. Have you ever taken the keys and driven home a friend that you felt was too drunk to drive? If not, do you think you would attempt to if that situation ever arose?
Nope, but I definitely would. My friends have generally been pretty sensible about not driving when they're under the influence.

Don't expect another post from me until Tuesday. I don't imagine much happening tomorrow, hence my post being tonight, and I'll be going to mass and probably will spend the night with my cousins. On Christmas day itself, I'd be crazy to sit here and blog! Hope you all have fun, and Merry Christmas to everyone!

1 comment:

Jennyfer said...

I never saw that video...

I didn't even know they showed stuff like that! And isn't it great? Everyone thought Nintendo was dead! YAY Nintendo!