Monday, December 19, 2005

Fall 2006 is Over

As I was starting to prepare my post I realized that today was the last day of the fall semester for me so I should probably do a recap post. The Introduction to Classical Mythology final was a little harder than I thought it would be, but I feel confident that I got enough points for an A. It's almost hard to believe that I'm halfway through my sophomore year of college. This semester really put the pressure on me and was much harder than last year. I found myself putting in 12 hour days on campus, squeezing some weekends between just football, homework, and the gym, and dealing with a couple of annoying classes. Did I learn a lot? I think I did, and in one of those classes it was mostly thanks to my own study habits. My grades didn't disappoint, but that's the same old story. I think I advanced myself a little bit socially, but not enough. I'm still lagging behind what I pictures myself to be in college, and I'm hoping that maybe next semester I'll get closer to the people who I wanted to see more this semester. Maybe I'll even take a couple of risks, but what's important is that I'm not just satisfied with the way things are, but really happy. I want to look back on my next birthday and see a better Elton. I also hope I can do more for NSC than I have this semester, and I think that Texas Revue is a good start to that because I consider it something that everyone can really get into. My big goals for the spring are getting an internship, getting straight As, and seeking what's still missing in my life. I think I can find it. Sorry for those of you who had to bear with me on this paragraph who really didn't care, but every once in a while I have to keep this blog human. I think it's only fair to end a contemplative paragraph with a provocative postcard.

Click to enlarge

It's a sad phenomenon that less and less chicks dig computer science nowadays, and I don't totally get it. I can't see any guys trying to purposely intimidate girls out of the major unless they think better of themselves than they actually are, and I don't know why universities would keep introductory weed out classes. I hope the trend reverses sooner rather than later. If you were wondering last year why Suprnova shut down, the answer is now online and it's due to police charges as many surmised. I'm sure that many in the community are glad that he ended up safe from charges, but definitely a scary situation. With P2P now at record highs, I'm sure that the authorities have bigger fish to fry. USA Today has a pretty good article on how reliant our society has become on Google for its knowledge, almost as a surrogate memory bank. How many times a day do you "google" something? Lastly, Mac users will want to make sure that they have these programs installed.

There's not a whole lot of exciting stuff going on in movies so I think I'll get through it rather quickly. There's a pretty good trailer up for Catch and Release, which is Jennifer Garner's latest and is may be less of a chick flick than I had previously estimated. Peter Jackson seems interested in The Hobbit, but he's rightfully taking a step back from the arguments between MGM and Sony on who gets the rights to it, but I just don't think it's as easily transferable to a motion picture as the trilogy itself. There are a few posters up for Date Movie and Scary Movie 4, and they're all humorous in their own right but I'm not so sure about how good the movies will be themselves. Richard Linklater (of Dazed and Confused fame) has gained the rights to the non-fiction book Fast Food Nation and is mysteriously turning it into a movie with some interesting casting choices. Lastly, if you're interested, Roger Ebert put up his rather controversial picks for his best movies of the year.

Now for the Tuesday Twosome meme:

1. Name you are most frequently called? Nickname you are most frequently called?
I don't really have a nickname. Some guys in the ACM call me Eptiger because they knew that before my real name, and a couple of people may call me E, but that's about it. My name's too short to necessitate one!

2. Age people think you are? Age you wish you were?
People probably think I'm 16! To look younger than you are as a guy really isn't good. I direly wish that I was 21. It'd be so cool to go to a club with my brother, and I wish I could before he gets married but it looks like there's no luck there. Oh well, his fiance is probably a lot of fun for clubbing also.

3. Have you ever had someone mess with you while you were sleeping? Have you ever messed with people when they are sleeping?
Not that I can recall. I wouldn't be embarrassed enough to not share, so don't think that I'm hiding something. I used to tickle my brother when I was younger to see if I could wake him up because I was bored and had nothing else to do. He was always busier than me when I was growing up (that's what a big age gap will do) so I had to amuse myself somehow.

4. Have you ever actually listened to Telemarketers? Have you ever prank-called someone?
I have a couple of times, but only for surveys, not actual sales companies. I did assist a prank call for my cousin to this girl who was being a bitch to her. I think we got her pretty good because when she answered the phone she thought we were someone else.

5. What is the longest you have gone without food? What is the largest amount of food you have ever eaten at one sitting?
I'm actually not sure. I'm pretty hard pressed to skip eating, and I actually plan my days around food, so I couldn't say. The largest amount of food I've eaten is like four kinds of a meat at a barbecue. We need to have another family one soon.

No comments: