Sunday, January 30, 2005

"I Will Always Remember..."

watching The Girl Next Door last night. Ok, so may be it wasn't that inspirational, but I still enjoyed it. It's one of the best teen comedy movies we've had in quite a long time and a ton of fun to watch. It also makes you feel kind of fuzzy inside at the end, but no guy will admit to that. Well except for me of course, but that's just because it's left me in a strangely bittersweet mood. Those of you who haven't seen really should because it's actually funny and has a palatable plot (similar to Risky Business) with believable dialogue. Plus you get to see stuff like this:

Wowsers


For those of you who don't know, it's about a high school senior, played by Emile Hirsch, who does't do a whole lot in high school other than being an overachiever until he meets the girl who moves in next door. This character is portrayed by Elisha Cuthbert, who was drooled over by many men in 24 also, and then the movie takes many interesting twists and turns. Anyway, go see it if you haven't.

I only have one other movie item today. This weekend's number one movie was Hide and Seek with $22 million. January is typically a slow month, which shows right here since this movie is supposed to be horrible. I guess I actually have one more thing: an article about the top films from Sundance if anyone wants to see the good stuff coming up this year.

I do have a couple of tidbits about television, however. Apparently an episode of "Postcards from Buster" on PBS was pulled due to a reference to a lesbian couple. They were forced to under threat of pulled funding, and I think it's insane how much power these conservatives have nowadays. Their children are going to have trouble coping with homosexuality in society when the time comes because of such idiocy. It looks like downloading tv shows online has finally come under fire from tv executives. I understand that they don't want people to burn DVDs of it, and I don't intend on that at all. I just want to watch shows I miss and a select few cable shows that I can't watch here in Austin. I think if they charged like fifty cents for me to download these shows to watch that I'd willingly do that. They're toying with the idea so hopefully it gets them somewhere.

I have some great techie news today as well. A flash card maker in Taiwan, C-One technology, has developed one that is even faster than USB 2.0. It's called Mu-flash (as in the Greek letter) and it's actually cheaper to make as well. Maybe I'll have a digital camera by the time that comes out! And in case anyone is interested, BBC put up part one of a two part interview with Bill Gates that they conducted. The questions were good, but Gates didn't say anything terribly profound.

Now for some Unconscious Mutterings:

I say ... and you think ... ?
  1. Coroner::Creepy, pale, white dude
  2. Mystify::The magic shows my dad used to record (I loved Penn and Teller)
  3. Corroborate::Cops trying to interrogate a perp
  4. Misinterpret::Reading inscriptions in Latin!
  5. Humorless::My high school physics teacher
  6. Calculus::My fun high school teacher and my craptacular college one
  7. Eye for an eye::tooth for a tooth
  8. CPR::Health class from Freshman year
  9. Stitched::Snake stiching himself up in Metal Gear Solid 3
  10. Facility::Taylor Hall's Unix lab :)


I'll leave you with a strange and scary quote:
"We don't want a war in the Middle East if we can avoid it" - Dick Cheney (last week)

No comments: