Thursday, July 20, 2006

Death to Clockspeeds and Megapixels

Today was definitely a better day at work than yesterday, and after overcoming a hurdle I knew would be a pain to get sorted out (i.e. I had waiting time, which I hate because it feels like a waste) I think that I'll be right back on track tomorrow morning. People like to become experts on things like computers and digital cameras without actually doing some research, and it's starting to peeve me. I may smack the next person who asks about the MP of my camera as a benchmark, or even in general. What's the point of it? Megapixels are the game camera manufacturers play with your head to make you believe that you're getting the latest and greatest. I don't know why people pay for these 8 MP cameras when they take 5 MB pictures and you'll never use a picture of that size. More importantly, this guy points that you'll likely end up getting worse quality because of the site of the sensor photosites. The same goes for clockspeed. Would people stop bragging about their 3 Ghz processor? It doesn't make you cool. Neither does overclocking your processor, which I never understood the point of. People need to realize that sometimes you have to do a little research, or you can try talking to an expert, but please don't try to oversimplify things that aren't so simple. And most importantly, don't act like you're cool because you know that one number is greater than another; I've seen this all too often.

Microsoft has finally decided to let computer manufacturers decide what the default search engine is in IE 7, but I'm not exactly sure why they've decided to give in to Google's demands. To be honest, I don't think it was necessary for them to do this, but I guess they wanted to offer a show of good faith? Meanwhile, Google has created a new feature for Google Video: the ability to send a link to a video in the middle of the video so that the recipient can see the exact part you want. I'm pretty surprised that no has thought to do this before. If you didn't know you could look up phone numbers on Google, then you'll like this, too. Samsung is preparing to mass produce 8GB NAND flash chips, which could be a big sign that the next Nano will be 8 GB. This also means big things for USB drives though, which will soon be able to hold much more than just a GB or two, but you'll have to pay extra obviously. As I've mentioned before, everyone is getting pretty excited about Intel's Core 2 Duo chips, but it looks like they plan on releasing quad core chips by the end of the year! I'm sure they'll cost a good bit more, but that would imply a likely price drop in Core 2 Duos as well, so you should hold off on your purchase of a new PC for a few more months. CNet has a list of ten tech-related videos you should have seen or should watch now. My Internet is too crappy to check them all out, but the first one is definitely a keeper. Lastly, if you're tired of Adobe Acrobat taking forever to load and eating up system resources like there's no tomorrow, then you have to jump on the FoxIt bandwagon. You won't be disappointed, trust me.

Click to enlarge

AICN nabbed that picture from Comic Con of some early Grind House posters. I think they look pretty cool, but almost too akin to the early Sin City posters. Latino Review claims that they've been tipped off from a very reliable source that the role of The Joker in the sequel to Batman Begins will be Heath Ledger, which seems like an odd choice to me and I don't buy it. I hope that their source is lying to them. A couple of trailers have popped up on Apple Trailers, but I'm afraid that I'm unable to view them from home, so I'll have to check them out at work tomorrow. I've heard that Children of Men looks like it will be a must-see movie this fall, and I trust my source on that so you should watch the trailer. The other one is the teaser for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which sounds like it doesn't have much and is a real tease. Still, I have fond childhood memories of TMNT and the video games.

Now for the Thursday Threesome:

Onesome: Cooked to?-- Okay, the easy one: if you're having grilled meat (steak/hamburger) this weekend, how would you like it cooked?
Probably medium or medium-rare. I like my beef soft and juicy.

Twosome: Medium-- to large? ...too large? What do you think of the big ol' plasma screen HDTVs available now? I mean, would you if you could?
I would love a 50" DLP TV, but not a plasma. I consider plasma to be the worst of all the new HD television sets.

Threesome: Rare-- Footage: one of the major news services recently announced they would make archived news coverage available for personal purchase on DVD. Is there any one piece/segment/area of old news (or new) you'd like to have on your bookshelf to view "whenever"?
Oh yeah, when I was on television for complaining that my school bus sucked. They consolidated routes and so my stop was mile from me rather than just a 10 minute walk away.

A friend of mine is throwing a party tomorrow night, so I don't imagine that I'll have a post up. I'll try to post on Saturday to compensate.

No comments: