Saturday, July 22, 2006

Clerks II

Click to enlarge
That's what I was doing last night in case you're wondering why I'm posting today instead. We were also playing pool volleyball and dancing though, which made for a really funny. I went to catch a matinee of Clerks 2 today since no one here in Dallas wanted to see it and I've been wanting to for a while. To be honest, I was expecting a little more out of it. It picks up after Clerks, but the store has burned down and so Dante and Randall are working at Mooby's (the fast food chain you may have seen in Dogma) instead, and this movie also takes place in the span of a day (after the first scene, that is). However, it gets much raunchier, and seems to have a more conclusive ending. I wasn't offended by the humor really, but I just felt that not enough of it was really hilarious. Don't get me wrong though, it was definitely funny, I just didn't cry from laughter. There are definitely moments I can recall after the movie as being awesome though as the whole thing reads like an extended conversation almost, and one of the final scenes in the movie has a similar feel to the first movie where pretty much everything goes wrong in a really funny way. The acting was pretty good in it as the characters are all still as you'd imagine them to be, and I like that about the View Askew universe Kevin Smith has create. And, of course, Rosario Dawson is smoking hot. I give the movie a B-; I think it has many interesting moments (however gross some of them are) and too good of a thematic ending to not be at least a B movie. If you liked the first one and/or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, you should enjoy this one. It's extremely raunchy though so if you're the type who's afraid to laugh at some dirty jokes, you're going to want to steer clear of this one.

AppleInsider has dissected Apple's latest patent filings related to a touch screen, and it sounds pretty neat and like they really are steering towards a touch screen iPod. The patent describes a technology that would only change the screen when it detects a hand approaching the screen, and it made me wonder if the functionality could be achieved without physically touching the screen's surface. Also, Apple has finally made statements that definitely sounds like a confirmation of their R&D into an iPod phone. Being as secretive as they are, they won't say anything more than this until they announce the finished product, but at least the rumors are no longer just rumors now. All the while Microsoft has been developing, and has also now confirmed, their new Zune brand media player. We know very little details about the device (other than super fuzzy pictures I borought you a little while back), but Xbox fanatic J Allard has been brought on board the group, so it should be interesting to say the least. There were concerns a good while ago about Google's revenues taking a dip below expectations, but they ended up doubling up in the second quarter completely trumping Yahoo. The vast bulk of this income is still coming from advertising though, which I think leaves the company vulnerable to competitors. Meanwhile, Yahoo Music has decided to push towards DRM-free music, starting with a customizable Jessica Simpson download. Big props are in order for them as they seem to be one of the first companies to realize how easy it is to bypass DRM and how pointless it is to invest in it for digital music. AMD has challenged Intel to build a quad core processor, which is just what AMD is planning on releasing in the middle of next year. Yes, Intel did mention earlier this week that they'd have quad cores later this year, but those are just two Core 2 Duos packaged together, not a true quad core. The one advantage that AMD has is that they've been gearing towards multiple cores for years, whereas Intel got into that game a little late. Lastly, Take Two has finally settled the Hot Coffee scandal with just a slap on the wrist from the Justice Department, but I'm sure that the sales they lost from stores pulling GTA is "punishment" enough.

Click to enlarge

I really like that poster a lot. The Spider-man 3 marketing team is really doing a good job, I think. JoBlo was fortunate enough to catch some footage from the movie at ComicCon and saw the Venom symbiote dripping on Eddie Brock, and it sounds like it was a well done scene. I'm almost anticipating this one more than I did the second one. We also have some close-ups of the Grind House posters at ComicCon, which look just perfect. I also have some moving multimedia for you. Yahoo Movies put up some more clips from Miami Vice, which I'm hoping to get a chance to see next weekend when it comes out. Meanwhile, Apple has the full trailer for The Fountain, and it's visually amazing. The storytelling may go the way of A Scanner Darkly, but I think the idea behind it is pretty neat. It turns out that the voice of Optimus Prime in Michael Bay's adaptation of Transformers will be the same one from the television show, which I think is pretty neat. I may not have been a big fan of the series as a kid, but it was still fun to watch. Lastly, it looks like Daniel Craig will be back for Bond #22, which I figured would happen since they're so pressed on time to get this movie done by the end of last year, but I still don't see Bond in him.

I'm going to try out the Saturday 8 today:

1. what citizenship do you hold?
United States

2. if you could get dual citizenship with any country in the world, what would it be? why?
Probably India just because of my race. I don't have any particular desire to get a dual citizenship though.

3. do you agree with the current political status of your country? why or why not?
No, because I'm a moderately liberal Democrat and these Republicans are only pissing me off more and more. I'm not saying that if Democrats were in power we'd all be rich and dancing in circles while holding hands and stuff, but I believe that things would be better.

4. what is the best thing about your country today?
The freedom, of course. But I feel that the diversity (or at least where I've lived) is a close second.

5. what is the worst thing about your country today?
The fact that our government feels the need to intervene in international affairs where they don't belong.

6. do you feel 'connected' to your country, as in having national pride or a sense of belonging to it?
Oh yeah. I'm well aware of how much better my opportunities are here as opposed to how they would be if I was still in India, and I'm glad to be here. I was born and raised here, and so I definitely feel like an American above all else.

7. if you could change on thing about your country, what would it be?
Hatred. It sometimes seems that we have too much of it.

8. do you like visiting other countries? which one(s)?
Yeah, but I've only been to a couple of others so I'll go with the motherland (India) as where I like visiting because I have some good family there.

No comments: