Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Scavenging for Randomness

New: I decided to upload a video we made during the scavenger hunt of me benching 315 lbs. Enjoy!
Did I just make up a word? Probably, but you'll learn to live with it I'm sure. So one big thing I've been working on is a scavenger hunt for the ACM. The list was huge and we managed to get somewhere around 94 of the items on it. You can see all the pictures I got over here and you can see our competitor's pictures over here. Here's one of my favorites from our pictures:

The item was 'Dirty Statue'


We spent probably more than 10 hours gathering our shots, but alas we only got 2nd place (out of 4 teams). I think we should've won, but I guess my opinion was biased. Nonetheless, it was a lot of fun and I learned more about Austin in general. Plus I went to a Whole Foods and a Central Market for the first time and I think I'll shop there one day when I get a real job that pays well. Hopefully I won't become a yuppie though.

So the nerdy news for today isn't half bad. If you've ever seen a blind person on the street and though, "Wow, that has to blow," you may not have to sympathize much longer. Apparently, there have been major breakthroughs in the development of a bionic eye. They're hoping to try it on humans within a year, and the way it works is that a chip is implanted in the back of the eye and is linked to a mini camera in their glasses. If you've never heard of Moore's Law then you'd get a lot out of this article that explains the theory on semiconductor evolution, and it also talks about the future of it and such so it's a great read. If that confuses you, then maybe this article about geek speak applies to you. It posits that people are getting hit hard by viruses and phishing because the language people use to warn about them is too geeky. If they're that dumb, they don't deserve to know. In an oddly powerhungry move (or at least I think so), Microsoft is now forcing companies to upgrade to SP2. That must really aggravate them. Since the Taylor basement is so cold I thought I'd mention this article comparing cooler parts in servers to cooler rooms that hold them. So if you're interested in networking, give it a look-see. And finally, in a strangely humorous move, Al Gore is creating a cable tv/internet tv hybrid. Why? Only God knows.

The movie news for today is pretty good, too. Though I was never an avid watcher of The X-Files I have heard good things so if you liked it you may want to keep your eyes peeled for a new movie that could start production as early as early next year. Batman Begins has already had quite a few posters and now it has yet another one. I don't like it as much as the others, but it's still pretty cool. While I'm talking about a comic book movie I might as well mention that Famke Janssen has been confirmed for X-Men 3, which means that Phoenix will play some role in the next movie for sure. I've got to admit that I like action movies even with bad plots and I'm actually kind of interested in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, which now has a one-sheet poster. I have a couple of videos to showcase. The first is a behind-the-scenes look at The Interpreter, which actually has gotten me more interested in the movie and makes me believe that it may turn out well after all. The other thing is a commercial for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It even shows an Oompa Loompa:

That's a lot of white


It's definitely a new take on the little men, and I'm sure that the movie will turn out great. Lastly, I think Sean William Scott is more talented than people give him credit for so I wanted to plug this interview with him regarding Dukes of Hazard.

Now for the Cheddar X meme:

What are you least likely to do?
Besides not get laid in the near future I'd have to say throwing up after drinking because I'm so good about watching what I drink.
Who's life is better than yours and what makes it so great?
My friend Ketan because everyone loves him! It's with good reason, but I just wish I was that cool.
What does "How ya doing?" really mean?
"I think I'm cool by using such a hip, casual greeting"
Why would someone say something as stupid as "Does a bear shit in the woods?"?
Because they want to get slapped upside the head.
Would you rather be super strong or super smart? Would you trade that to be able to fly?
Super smart I'd say. Being super strong can only take you so far. I don't think I'd trade it to be able to fly, because that could get tiresome.
When wheels spin, why do they look like they're going backwards?
Because the eyes like to play tricks.
What kind of a person would say "Well, you can't get there from here."?
Someone who hasn't used the shortest path algorithm.
Does something that smells good attract you more quickly than something that looks good?
Definitely, because sometimes I just don't look in the right places.
Complete this sentence: Hoo-doggy, I tell you what.......
I am a loser! =P I guess a better completion would be: I'm tired of PHL 313K.

No comments: