Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My Crazy Weekend in Vancouver

Definitely feeling a lot better now than yesterday. I think I'm ready for things to start going my way again. And now, without further ado, a quick recap of my trip to Vancouver.


We didn't get in until like 11ish on Friday night, so we headed straight for the nightlife. We got to The Buffalo Club around 12:30, and cover was $9 CND! Oh well, it was cool to be carded and actually let in (drinking age is 19 over there). I was DD though, because I knew my girlfriend would prefer that, and I didn't feel like getting wasted anyway (plus, drinks weren't cheap).


We got some pizza afterwards since everyone but me and the other DD was at least buzzed, and the only girl Nirav successfully talked to was engaged and drunk. Cool shirt there though.


There's some of the change I got back from the club: a loonie and two quarters.


A shot from inside the hostel. Yep, that's where we slept! It was not very exciting, but it was cheap and did the job.


I had breakfast at the hostel, and got a 5 dollar bill back in change. Why are they playing hockey on their money though?!


We went to Sophie's for lunch, and I just loved that they had a fully stocked bar behind the counter. Oh, and the food there was spectacular!


We went to Granville Island after lunch, and walked around there. Check out the view of the bay.


We also saw some big geese and ducks at a pond there. Got a close-up of the goose.


We went to Stanley Park afterwards, and that's what you see when you look up.


The trees were so tall!


Beaver Lake was where we turned around in our little trek, and it was quite a sight. There were even heron there! I didn't have enough battery life at the time to snag a good picture of one though.


Look at the baby squirrel! =)


This is the first beer I bought legally! It's a Sleeman's Honey Brown, and it was delicious. Our dinner was at Indian Bistro. The special was awesome: butter chicken, salad, basmati rice, naan, and a glass of beer for $12.



Here's the view all around us on the way back home on Sunday. Isn't it awesome? All in all, it was a fun trip, though it sucked not being able to call my girl.

Wall Street Journal's own Walt Mossberg has infamously had the iPhone for a while but hasn't really spoken about it. Well, he finally broke the silence and really seems to like it. He's fairy well-resptected, so this is probably not a bad review to read. It may be a little sugar coated, but he doesn't shy away from pointing out its weak points. Sounds like it's still a great phone, even though it's far from perfect.

Before you run out and buy your iPhone though, you should probably check out the ridiculous contract pricing. I suppose it isn't too extreme, but it's still not the best deal for the consumer.

IsoHunt and TorrentSpy, in order to stay open to US visitors, have to use a filter called FileRights that automatically filters out trackers for copyrighted material due to their legal tiff with the MPAA. I'm sure there's a way to spoof your location to avoid this stupid tracker, but there's other ways to get torrents that the MPAA won't catch, so I don't even know why they bother trying; it's just going to get bigger and bigger the more they try to squash it.

Lastly, Google is acquiring a really cool site called GrandCentral that's still in beta but purports to be one centralized phone number for all your phones and adds functionality to what you can do with a cell phone currently. Not sure exactly how it works, but I'll probably try using it after Google refines it a bit because it sounds a little buggy as is.

There's only one movie item that I want to cover: the likelihood of Kill Bill volumes 3 and 4. I really don't think it's going to happen, but it's nice to dream.

No comments: