Saturday, June 09, 2007

Knocked Up

So I could do a real post today, but there's not really enough news for a real post so I figured that I could just do one tomorrow. Instead, I'm going to just review Knocked Up since I finally saw that today.

The trailer would not lead you to believe that this movie is actually funny, but it really is. I definitely thoroughly enjoyed watching it. In case the premise isn't fatally obvious to you, Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogen get sloshed and end up having sex without a condom, so she gets pregnant. It's not really humor based on solely the situation, there are just jokes coming from everywhere, and they usually work really well. There's a fair amount of guy humor in it, which usually ends up being a bit much for me, but I still thought that stuff was funny, too. There are also a lot of "it's so cruel it's funny" moments where I just think, "I can't believe they said that!" This movie really shines with its casting though. If I were to quote the movie, you would think I'm gross or stupid or something for thinking it's funny, but the delivery and the relationships between the characters is what makes them so funny. It's rare that directors of comedies these days put so much focus into the timing and delivery and pacing of jokes. It was just really refreshing to see.



However, the movie was definitely too long. About 90 minutes in, it got really serious, and the jokes came at a very slow pace from there on out. I don't think it's bad that the movie stretched to have heart and meaning, but I just think it stretched a little too far. The movie could've easily lost at least 20 minutes and been just as enjoyable. And, again, there were several vulgar jokes in the movie. I don't think they were particularly offensive or anything, but they were vulgar nonetheless. Still, I don't think they'll bother people all that much. The jokes in Clerks 2 were easily vulgar enough to be offensive, but not here. I highly recommend this movie with an A-. I don't think everyone will love it, but I think enough people will for me to quantify a high recommendation. It's not perfect, but it's definitely the funniest film I've seen in a long while (sorry, didn't see Hot Fuzz), and I wasn't even in the best mood today.

I will mention one news item today though: the campaign to save Veronica Mars. If you love the show, please contribute. There's only a couple of days left on this campaign, and this is undoubtedly one of the best shows on television right now. It'd be a travesty to lose it barely on the cusp of its third season. Even if it's in the form of a spinoff, I'd like at least a couple more seasons.

I think I'm going to go for the Saturday Six:

1. What do you consider more important to your long-term happiness: your relationships, your location, your career or your dreams?
That's so extremely difficult! I'm actually wrestling with that right now, to be honest. I'm going to be bold and say my dreams, because my dreams is to have the other three. I mean realistically, without a solid relationship, having a great job would leave me really lonely. However, without a solid career I'd just be waiting to go home all the time. Still, I think I could bear that more than I could bear being without my girl, no matter the location.

2. Other than a significant other, how many people do you feel you can truly turn to for advice?
Probably 3 people: a couple of friends and my sister-in-law.

3. Of the people you think know you best, how surprised would you think they would be if they knew “everything” there is to know about you?
Not totally shocked, but still probably fairly surprised.

4. Take the quiz: Are you living the wrong life?
I agree with what they said:
Your Life is 31% Off Track

In general, your life is going very well.
You're quite happy with where you are and what you're doing.
And even if you get a bit off course, you're usually able to get back on track easily.


5. What is the longest you’ve stayed in a job you weren’t happy in?
A couple of months. But then again, I'm not full-time yet ;)

6. What single factor made you stay the most?
Needing something to do.

1 comment:

Jennyfer said...

Hello love.

We need to talk, it's been too long my friend and your internet at your apt. is taking too long to set up I guess.

Cory and I saw Knocked Up this past Friday and we loved it! Every 10 minutes, we were cracking up and screaming with laughter. We've gotta get it when it comes out!

Miss you :-(.