Monday, March 05, 2007

Really, Music Industry? Still Clueless?


I really shouldn't be writing this post, but I figure that I can write it quickly and get back to studying. So I never thought I'd be so excited to see a brown folder before, but I was when I saw that this morning. It was probably the second most beautiful thing I saw all day. Anyway, on to the real news, which is still DRM (kind of). If only the news was more diverse. It turns out that they want to enforce pay-per-play for Internet radio. Wow. This market segment is composed of total music geeks, who use this to fuel their purchasing decisions, and you want to extort it? Awesome. Music execs are lovely people. You can see the figures over here. It pains me to see things this way, because I love music so much. In the beginning, going to the gym was about getting bigger muscles. Now, it's about taking some time to stop and enjoy some music while doing something that improves my health. And yet, for something so amazing, it's being managed by people who don't know how to sell it and have no concept of taking risks. It's a shame.

Did you guys know that Daylight Savings starts next Sunday? So we lose our hour sooner than we used to! That screws over a lot of software, and, more importantly, it makes no freaking sense. Congress has way too much time on its hands. Oh well, at least it will be during Spring Break.

We haven't heard much from YouTube in a while, but it looks like Google is still working with it, which I guess is kind of 'duh', but it just hasn't been well-publicized. Like I had no idea about all the basketball stuff it got, or the Sundance channel. All you hear about is the copyright questions, so it's good to get a more well-rounded view of things.

I'm so disgusted by the box office, I don't even really want to talk about it. Wild Hogs brought in $38 million while Zodiac brought in $13.1 million. What the fuck are you doing, America?! Yeah, I don't curse here usually, but I have to for this. You went to see a horribly conceived movie that got awful reviews rather than see a David Fincher thriller, the same guy who brought you Se7en and Fight Club?

Instead, you should really go watch the exclusive Spider-man 3 footage in HD while it's still online. Personally, I think they've lost the charm of the first two movies. These 7 minutes feel really forced, for some reason.

Now for some Monday Madness:

1. From beth:
What's the most unusual hobby you have? How did you get started with it?

Unusual hobby? Um, I don't really know. I guess an Indian guy dancing salsa is unusual?

2. From briar:
How many different kinds of music do you listen to? Name a few favorites, if you please.

Quite a few. I like rock, hip hop, alternative, softer stuff (like Coldplay and Snow Patrol), R&B, some bhangra, salsa, merengue, and bachata. Favorites though, I do not know. That's way too hard.

3. From iris:
Do you take advantage of the outdoor areas where you live? What's your favorite thing to do outside? What's your favorite local bird?

Not enough. The parks in Austin are too nice for me to not go out there more. Of course, Seattle's outdoors is even more amazing.

4. From kristy:
Children: Do you have any?

I'm a little bit young for that ;)

5. From amy:
What is your favorite part of spring?

Definitely not daylight savings. I guess maybe seeing new flowers and stuff. Yeah, that's a pretty girly thing to like, but I don't know what else really marks Spring for me that's good.

1 comment:

Jennyfer said...

Because there's nothing to discuss!

Everyone gets in one of those moods where they believe their future is questionable. You know, one of those days. And besides, you have tests this week! As if you didn't already have enough on your plate...

<3