Monday, March 26, 2007

Being Geeky is Hot

I bet that grabbed your attention, didn't it?! Sorry to have missed last night's post, but I had to spend some quality time with someone very important to me, followed by doing NSC work until I started falling asleep while typing (some point around 4AM). So anyway, back to the attention grabber: it's not actually a concept that I came up with on my own, I'm pulling it from this list of reasons why being a geek makes you more attractive. I think one dimension of being a geek is definitely thinking less of yourself, even if you're really a lot cooler than people who you would consider "normal" or "cool" yourself. Being obsessed in more interesting things in life tends to give nerds less time to work on confidence and such than the A-list kids have, though they usually end up better off in the end anyway once they figure this out. It's like finding money in your couch: it's pretty cool. If I ever have to step away from that paradigm and give myself credit for something, it'd be #10 on that list. I'm a passionate person, and I just find that important in life. I surround myself with other passionate people because it makes me feel better about life and I usually have more respect for them. I definitely know somoone who fits #4, #5, and #10, and she's pretty hot.

The Pandora blog made a little post about that plan I mentioned recently to increase royalty fees for Internet radio that threatens it entirely. It's a good interview, but it's just really slow and so I don't blame people for not sitting down and watching it. The bottom line is that this thing is a huge deal for those of us who hope to grow their musical tastes via the Internet, and it makes music harder to find and enjoy without bleeding money.

Hacking is fun if you know what you're doing. I, of course, am stupid and never invested the time I should've when I was younger in those things. The best way to understand something, in my opinion, is to know how to break it. So, the best way to make your passwords secure, is to know the easiest ways in which one could figure yours out. That's definitely a worthwhile read, and will hopefully be an eye opener for some of you out there.

Microsoft came up with a clever little marketing thing asking if you would prefer a buttload of beer and an Xbox 360, or a PS3. I think they should've stacked it with Shiner Boch.

So this South African woman had quite the idea: an anti-rape device that is inserted into the vagina and does a lot of damage to anything that should find itself trying to, er, pass through. Yeah, so I agree with the concept, but that's really kind of scary, to be honest. It makes me keel over thinking about how this device works. As horrible as rape is, I don't think this is really going to a work, I think a tazer or mace is better.


I thought that this list of ways to pimp out your office was pretty awesome. While I don't think anyone who works anywhere but Google or a small startup could possibly execute most of these ideas, they're still awesome concepts.

So my browser crashed when I was writing the film part of this post, so I'm just going to talk about the box office again real quick. TMNT beat out 300 for top honors with just $25.5 million, only a few million more than its rated R rival. What's really notable is that Shooter tanked with a measly $14 million. Oh well, next weekend sees the addition of two movies that are sure to bring in wider audiences: Blades of Glory and Meet the Robinsons. Yahoo Movies actually has a new clip online for the former.

Ok, I'll share one more thing: AICN has a pretty good review of The Simpsons movie. It doesn't sound like exactly what we wanted, but it sounds better than what most of us expected out of it, so I may actually decide to see it in theaters now.

Now for some Monday Madness:

1. What kind of automobile do you drive?
2003 Hyundai XG 300
2. What kind of automobile do you WISH you drove?
I guess a Volvo S60 R. Of course I want to go back to the make that saved my life!
3. When is the last time you bought a vehicle (new or used)?
Last August (used)
4. What is your color of choice as far as vehicles go?
It really just depends on the car, to be honest. My car is maroon, which kind of sucks since that's the A&M school color, but it still looks good in it.
5. Do you regularly have your oil changed?
Yeah, my dad helps me with that.
6. How long do you generally keep a vehicle before thinking about buying a new one?
We'll find out =)
7. What kind of automobile will you buy next?
Not sure, but hopefully a lightly used Volvo.

No comments: