Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Google Moves Into Print

I've definitely been wasting too much time chatting on AIM, but I'm going to give you guys a post anyway because I think I can whip one up pretty fast here. Google has decided to make the transition into print ads, which seems kind of funny in a way. It's almost as if they're working backwards since, theoretically, newspapers should become extinct someday in favor of electronic distribution of news (likely through e-Readers for convenience). I think it's funny that newspapers are agreeing that they suck at offering advertising space to clients and are willing to partner with Google for this. I guess it isn't all that demeaning working with a company like Google, but I feel it would be like Microsoft helping Apple sell iPods and trashing the Zune because they felt that Apple had it right. Of course, the demand is really coming from the advertisers, who have been pleased with AdSense's tracking abilities. They've actually tried this out before, with limited success, and are changing it up now so that advertisers bid on ad space inventory and let the newspapers directly decide what makes sense. Does it sound like anyone else that they're just playing middle man? I'm not terribly optimistic about this venture. This system isn't very creative on Google's part and I just don't think that it'll generate enough interest to sustain itself.

Just crashed Firefox and so I lost what I was going to say here, but I'll try to rebuild it. PC World has really taken a shine to the new iPod Shuffle iteration, and it looks like it hasn't lost ease-of-use in the next generation. It should be readily available now, and I think I saw someone on campus with it the other day. Click to enlarge Paul Thurott posted some pictures of Office 2007, and it looks pretty nifty. Dare I say that I'm a tad excited to get my hands on it? Microsoft does pump out neat stuff from time to time, after all. If you find yourself in a situation like I did last week where you only have Linux machines at your disposal to open a .doc you need for class that morning, you'll appreciate Zamzar, which will convert it to another format for you online. Fortunately, I managed to make a clean break from that situation without it, but I may not be so lucky next time! I'm going to end off this paragraph with a sneak peek at Best Buy's Black Friday ad since I know that you'll all be chomping at the bit for these sales in a few weeks to kick off your holiday shopping spree. Don't act like you wouldn't be one of those people who stand in line at like 6 AM in the morning!

Not going to spend much time on movies because I'm still behind on my work for tonight. Borat took the box office this past weekend with over $26 million, but I honestly thought it'd be more given how many people were buzzing about it. Much more surprising is that Santa Clause 3 was #2 because I have no idea what would possess so many people to see it. It's not even Christmas yet! How could it beat out Flushed Away?! Anyway, I also spotted this neat artwork for TMNT and had to share.

Click to enlarge

To make up for the lack of posting, I'll give you guys some TMI Tuesday action:

1. Would you vote to legalize marijuana? If not marijuana, what drug would you like to see legalized and why?
Yes, because if booze are legal then what's so bad about weed? It's not like it kills people anymore than alcohol does. Why tell people what they can do with their money if it doesn't directly hurt them or others?

2. Would you vote to legalize prostitution?
Probably. If it's going to happen anyway, why not tax it and make a few bucks off of it? Not that I personally support prostitution because I think the idea of sex being casual is weird, but why keep people from doing it? At least have prostitutes checked for STDs.

3. Ever fantasize about a teacher in grade school/high school/college? If not a teacher, was there someone else? Classmate? Secretary? Janitor? Ever act on your fantasy?
I remember having a crush on a 3rd grade teacher, but not so much since then.

4. Do you feel everyone has a soulmate?
I like to think so. It gives me optimism.

5. Do you have a foot obsession? Ever given or received a footjob?
Nope and what does that even mean?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy TMI :)