Thursday, September 14, 2006

Wii Shows its Cards

I feel like a zombie right now because I didn't even get 6 hours of sleep last night and I was on campus for 12 hours straight for classes, NSC interviews, NSC member choosing, and the first ACM general meeting. So, needless to say, I'm going to try to rush through this post so I can finish up my Physics lab and get to bed quickly. So anyway, Engadget has full coverage of Nintendo's press event where they revealed that the Will will be released on November 19 at just $250, which is less than even a PS2 cost just a couple of years ago. They're aiming at 4 million consoles in a little over a month, so they'll all be white, but I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes. Click to enlargeThe launch package is going to be called the Sports bundle because it includes Wii Sports and the Wii remote plus nunchuk, and there will actually be 30 launch titles, including Zelda. I think that having Zelda at launch and including a game with the console will clinch the console launch war between the Wii and the PS3 for the Wii (I don't even have time for games anymore and now I really want one). Oh, the remote will be $40 with the nunchuk at $20, while games should be priced at $50, which is a relief compared toe PS3 and Xbox 360 games. But wait, there's more! Wii channels will offer your old games, and it looks like possibly the ability to use the other components of your home entertainment set-up, and you can put Opera on your Wii to browse the web, which I can see being useful for game FAQs and such. Overall, I think simplicity and reasonable pricing were their sticking points. In this day and age of inflation and ridiculous gas prices, people simply don't have the disposable income for a PS3, and kids genuinely look more interested in the Wii too boot despite the glamour promised by the PS3. I have to leave off here with this Wii vs. PS3 commercial that pretty much sums it up.

Microsoft has released a little PR video for the Zune that's not very impressive and yet isn't close-up enough for good impressions of it. However, Engadget has some pictures from the launch that look better, and the only big details are the FM tuner, 30 GB hard drive, 3" screen, and of course it supports WiFi (though its use still sounds stupid). Still no details on pricing and availability, and Microsoft isn't doing nearly enough to make this product a success and I have no idea why. The new Yahoo Mail is now in public beta and it looks really awesome. I'm so happy that they aimed to do more than just match the kind of functionality Gmail offers and do their own thing, and I think it'll work out well for them. Alright, all the rest of my stuff is Apple related. We have a rather grueling dissection of the Nano, and it's not for the faint of heart when it comes to the innards of cute devices. Apple will actually be having another press event on August 25, right before Photokina, but I'm guessing that it'll be Aperture and maybe a few other small things, but I can't imagine more big product releases, unless it's like a Mac Mini upgrade or something. Oh, and if you did get the new iTunes you should try downloading free finales of Desperate Housewives and Lost, or clips from Grey's Anatomy. Lastly, a tech blogger makes a decent point about why he thinks iTV will fail, but I respectfully disagree. The DVR thing not being included is weird, but I don't think people need another DVR, and I don't think that Apple could have such a service without paying royalties to like Tivo and driving up the price of the iTV. In any case, it's early enough that this product could really take over, and that's what I think it will do.

I don't really care about any of tonight's movie news, so let's go straight to the Thursday Threesome:

Onesome: Common-- Quick and easy: the most common name you can think of! Okay, let's make it a first (given) name...
Bob

Twosome: Household-- cleaners? What is your "go to" cleanser when you have to clean the place up? Are you a Lysol Junkie, an Orange Blossom Special or maybe a Bleach it to Death type? Come on, come clean !
Probably Mean Green, though I don't have much if any more.

Threesome: Products-- come and products go. What's on your list as a "wanna' have" for this Fall (no, not for Christmas; we'll save that for later).
I want a Wii!

No comments: