Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Truth About Net Neutrality

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." - John 8:32


I don't quote the bible much here because this isn't that kind of blog, but I really like that quote. For some reason, every time I read it feels like the first time I've ever read it.

Getting to the point though, we set out in February to create a video about network neutrality. Why? For our grade in Contemporary Issues in CS, mainly, but any of my regular visitors probably see me posting about net neutrality quite a bit so would know how strongly I feel about it. The problem right now, in my opinion, is exposure. If legislators don't think their constituents care about the issue then it's too easy for lobbyists and telcos to fill their heads with whatever benefits the shareholders of these companies. The videos that are out there right now are often either misinformed (even Rocketboom
's take goes past the strict boundaries of what net neutrality means) or completely one-sided (whether for or against it). How likely are you to believe a biased video that only tells you one side of the story? It's like watching Zeitgeist and believing everything it tells you without reproach (for the record, going back to the gold standard is completely absurd and illogical).

So my video aims to present a clear and truthful definition of the issue, and then present the major arguments on both sides with an obvious lean towards net neutrality. We spent well over 50 hours putting it together (at least 20 hours in editing alone), so I hope that it entertains and educates you:


The Truth About Net Neutrality from Eptiger on Vimeo.

If you'd rather see it on YouTube, part 1 is here and part 2 is here. Apparently, I uploaded at a high enough quality for it to be viewable in "higher quality", so YouTube is not a bad option for viewing it. I encourage you to pass it along to friends if you enjoyed it and spread the word on this important issue. I did not distort anyone's interview in this video, nor did I distort the arguments against net neutrality. I really was trying to be as unbiased as possible in putting this together.

I'll try to make a real post this weekend, but I have to get a lot of work done between now and then (code generator, prepare for management exam, final music composition, 3000 words for our net neutrality paper, research stuff). Just one week left!

No comments: